The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I use SeptoBac, I linked to it in my initial post. (under number 4., near the end of that long winded spiel lol) I believe that it can only be found in Canada.

IMO it's probably exactly the same as what Tom is using. (Earthworm) My guess is most of the organic dry products on the market are the exact same thing, or very very close in bacteria make up.

I also believe that by using septic tank products one is getting FAR more bang for their buck than simply feeding one or two common strains of Bacillus bacteria, such as what is used by Hikari, and Cobalt. As previously stated the reason for using species such as B. subtilis and B. licheniformis is that spores of Bacillus strains are thermo-stabile which makes them much easier to use in heat processed pellets. Their main function in a probiotic blend is that they are efficient in converting organic matter back to CO2. The rest of the "good bacteria" marketing from fish food companies about those particular strains of bacteria is pretty much sales hype.

Not that a reduction in organics is a bad thing, but IMHO fish food companies should focus on the quality & digestibility of their raw ingredients, instead of adding bacteria that helps reduce the excess waste produced from lower quality raw ingredients.

IMO it's a backasswards way of approaching a healthy diet, and healthy living conditions.

Reactions: BichirKing

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
It was a long read and I may have gotten lost but it is the septic products that contain probiotics correct? I do two to three water changes a week does this require redosing? Also how do I determine the proper amount for my 55g.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I started using Rid-X because it seemed to be the most commonly available product in the US and wanted to try something that other people could easily get a hold of. My main purposes in doing so were: an attempt to reduce canister filter cleanings, the sludge that forms on the bottom of a sump, and solid waste from big cichlids. I have recently had a much busier schedule, so anything that saves time helps.
I personally don't even dissolve this stuff first, I just dump it in. I'm using 1 tablespoon per 50 gallons. I turn off my UVs for a couple days after I dose.
It does reduce waste, it also really makes the water clear (even clearer than my UVs do normally), and reduces the brown algae I normally get.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: RD.

guano

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 25, 2010
Aurora, CO
It was a long read and I may have gotten lost but it is the septic products that contain probiotics correct? I do two to three water changes a week does this require redosing? Also how do I determine the proper amount for my 55g.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Is there any chance of overdosing? I was thinking of dosing half a tablespoon every week during a WC instead of dosing every two weeks. Just easier for me to keep track.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I started using Rid-X because it seemed to be the most commonly available product in the US and wanted to try something that other people could easily get a hold of. My main purposes in doing so were: an attempt to reduce canister filter cleanings, the sludge that forms on the bottom of a sump, and solid waste from big cichlids. I have recently had a much busier schedule, so anything that saves time helps.
I personally don't even dissolve this stuff first, I just dump it in. I'm using 1 tablespoon per 50 gallons. I turn off my UVs for a couple days after I dose.
It does reduce waste, it also really makes the water clear (even clearer than my UVs do normally), and reduces the brown algae I normally get.

Great informative read, thanks for the information RD!

So Rid-X is a totally organic product? How long have you used it aclockworkorange? Would you hesitate to use it with rays and ATFs?

guano

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 25, 2010
Aurora, CO

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As far as dosage rates, we have all stated the amounts that we are dosing, and the frequencies. If you didn't get it the first time, I suggest reading it all again. Then go from there - this isn't an exact science. :)

This is the product that I use, which is dried bacteria spores that appear to be mixed in a dry yeast medium.

If you are not 100% certain whether a product is 100% organic, or safe for your fish, then I would highly recommend contacting the company & asking.

Tom's "earthworm" product states the following;

EARTHWORM® Septic is environmentally-friendly, completely biodegradable and made with sustainable ingredients. It does not contain harmful, caustic chemicals, chlorine, phosphates, acids or petroleum-based ingredients. Our natural process does not generate heat or malodors while working, so there aren't any harmful vapors. It has a neutral pH, so its gentle on your hands and skin. And like all of our products, it's safe to use around pets and children

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Great informative read, thanks for the information RD!

So Rid-X is a totally organic product? How long have you used it aclockworkorange? Would you hesitate to use it with rays and ATFs?
I tried to find something closest to the septobac RD is using. From what I've read, yes, it's organic, seems like it could even be the same product as septobac under a different name. I have had no problems with it, but can't be held responsible for others results. :)

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
While I agree with Jeff's disclaimer, I can say I've used Earthworm on a tank that houses wild cought Altum Angelfish (that statement right there speaks volums to me) and they have not shown any ill effects over the last few months. All these products we are using from Europe, Canada, and the east to west cost of the United States are all basicly the same thing. This is not "new" it's just that we are using non aquarium/pond specific products that are way over priced and have discovered a common houshold product that does a better job and works wonders for pennies. This should IMO be embraced by the aquatic community.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I understand, its just hard to put your hands around risking thousands of dollars of fish by putting something in that was always considered for septic systems is all. I think I will try it on my lesser fish and work my way up. :)

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store