The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
patronizing me, or making me a negative example with heads in the sand is not very respectful, better off said we do not agree on all accounts but some and all untitled to there opinion. :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It is what it is. I'm not holding a guns to anyone's head, nor telling them what they should do, or not do. If these products don't interest you, you could just as easily hit the back button from the get go. Instead you choose to post repeatedly how this isn't required, and how in your world all one needs to do is offer clean water. To me, that is sticking ones head in the sand. If you find that terminology offensive, oh well.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
agreed, you have my apologies, :)

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I have been using a local probiotics designed for aquaculture with great results, I recently bought a uv unit for on of my tanks, I presume it needs to be turned off when dosing the probiotics? How long would you wait before turning it back on, and what is the impact of uvbon probiotics?

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
I think this is a great thread and apologize if I repeat anyone as I skimmed a lot in the middle. I use great white probiotics to inoculate my tanks in the soil layer of my substrate and have great results plants really seem to like them and r aided in the break down and uptake of nutrients. Strains like bacillus subtillus (pardon spelling as well) and their biproducts especially, help to inhibit molds and fungi which is good for egg layers. as well as helping with urinary and gastrointestinal disorders.....

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
For those that do mutliple wc's a week are you dosing with both wc or just once per week ?

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
I dose once..... My understanding is it's like your bio filter, once established the colonies live in and on everything in your aquarium. They also multiply exponentially, and even need water changes to thrive. Repeat dosing is for damage caused by uv filtration, chemicals/mess, and or large chlorinated water changes.....

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Heterotrophic Bacteria require a constant food source, or their numbers will dwindle rapidly. In a closed system, in order to keep their numbers up one will need to re-dose on a weekly, biweekly, or at the least monthly basis. (dependent on organic load)
I generally dose once every 10 days or so.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thx rd. I'll cut the dose in half and add it with evry wc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store