The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL @ oscarfish. If you are going to use google, please use a reputable source for the info. :)
I read that article along time ago when playing dueling banjos with the owner, but I'm not exactly sure what any of that info has to do with this discussion?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If you are looking for simple break down on heterotrophic bacteria, the author of the following article has a PhD.

http://pdf.gaalliance.org/pdf/GAA-McGraw-Dec02.pdf

But honestly all of this depends on exactly which heterotrophic bacterial strains are being utilized, how they will colonize in each persons tank is pretty iffy stuff for the average person. Most of this will be trial and error, the results seen can and will vary somewhat due to each individuals set up. I think that most people will be pleased with the results.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Do these bacteria influence nitrate? I want to use it for my 1000litre goldfish aquaponics system and being the waste machines they are i was thinking of buying some for the purpose of breaking waste down for the BB to metabolise for nitrate for the plants

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes. See post #19 in this discussion for more info.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If i heavily stock the tank then maybe i will uses it.
I would like to prevent waste build up and increase what is available for my aquaponic plants, and i am having extreme circulation in my sump to add oxygen to my system. Maybe just frequent mech media cleaning is the way to go?

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
After reading the whole thread, though hesitant to use something for sceptic systems in my aquarium... I implemented Rid-x at the recommended dose @ 1tbs per 50 gallons. I will decrease the dosing to 1tbs per 90 gallons from then on (every 10-14 days). My reasoning is that the first dose will get a lot of the bacteria in the system and after that I will only be dosing to keep numbers up.
Water was cloudy for 24 hours, but cleared up just fine. After the first regular water change the water was crystal clear! Tried it on only one of my tanks first, choosing the one that had the most recent filter cleaning. It's a bare bottom tank. Because of the outflows positioning most of the poop gets piled in a corner (which is nice and easy when siphoning/WC). I have noticed that the poop really breaks down! It breaks down from its normal dark reddish colored noodle shaped to ball form into a light beige powder! Fish seem even more happy, healthy, and hungry. I am impressed and will be implementing this in all my tanks. Thanks RD once again!

Reactions: jaws7777

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No prob, glad that's working out for you.

Reactions: ECW

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
For all those that want to see in a pic what I was talking about here it is. You see all the fish poop? The clumps break down and turn into that powder you see to the left in the pic. Pretty quickly too! I did a water change 10 hours ago (I vacuumed the whole bottom clean... he pooped immediately after siphoning/during filling up the tank) and in that 10 hours the waste has been broken down from it's original form to powder. That's FH waste. He is a poop machine. Lol.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
For all those that want to see in a pic what I was talking about here it is. You see all the fish poop? The clumps break down and turn into that powder you see to the left in the pic. Pretty quickly too! I did a water change 10 hours ago (I vacuumed the whole bottom clean... he pooped immediately after siphoning/during filling up the tank) and in that 10 hours the waste has been broken down from it's original form to powder. That's FH waste. He is a poop machine. Lol.

View attachment 1186536
It really does make maintenance a breeze. I dont vacuum the bottom too often anymore it just breaks down and gets sucked into the sump. Inly thing that doesnt breaks down too quickly is when i feed veggies. Also noticed that their scrapes and scratches heal up much quicker

Reactions: ECW

Ethan59

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2016
Excellent information here found this site 2 months ago , have 300 gallon tropheus tank with dry rock is accumulating

A lot of Demetrius , I mean a lot of debris in holes of rocks.Have been using rid-x , has been helping I use 2 cups a week in tank placed in stockings , zereo issues with fish health. But even with 2 cups I have not been able to keep up with Demetrius . Besides putting in more anyone have any ideas. PS it does work
But my situation and size of tank make it challenging

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store