The ]v[onster has begun!!

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
Just read 125 pages which is true dedication considering i'm actually into keeping fish and never had a reptile in my life, i commented once before in 2010, i should have tagged along for the ride.
Really great build and love how it's developed and matured over time and now is really a very beautiful set up, how much more growing will she do? did i catch this particular species maxes out at 4'?
My curiosity for following this lately is i have stumbled across paludariums however they're often small keeping small frogs and small fish, i keep large predatory fish which would eat any small frogs or lizards etc that fell into the water - it looks as though you've tried some tank mates with her but she's killed them all?
Wondered what youre opinion would be on housing something like Claudia with fish? large stingrays arowana and peacock bass to be precise.
Any changes you'll be looking to make in the future? What is Cladia's life span? i imagine this is a pretty long term commitment

geophagus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Norway
Nice enclosure!
I have been browsing through most of the thread to look at the pictures as im planning on something similar myself, allthough a little bit smaller.
What did you paint the walls with again? Does it hold up good so far?

I have found similar ponds that you have used that varies from very small to 530 gallons. I was thinking maybe using one at around 250 gallons.

brynjar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2015
WHAT AN AMAZING BUILD! I found this thread cause i was looking for the next step for my cuvier, since im gonna upgrade his cage in the nearest future! One thing that really struck me about your build is THE PLANTS brother! Amazing work and im as im typing this looking at the plants around me im gonna intergrade in his current cage! And the LIZARDS, man i've been puttin some heavy though into mixing species but this thread has really inspired me alot.

You've given me alot of tools and inspiration, i want to share some of my thoughts on your awesome build.

First the idea of a turtle inhabitant, (i keep turtles), Turtles are messy and stink up the water ahell lot faster than your caiman. The outload of a single adult RES will require heavy filtration, plus they will (the sliders and cooters at least) tear up your vegetation and eat it plus eliminate the possibilety of keeping almost all fish.
Turtles are hardy but basking turtles (since you are leaning towards them) that can not dry out completely can be prone to fungus and shell rot. Proper ventilation and humidity in the range of 30-40 will be neccesary for many species.
You could try with musk turtles, they're smaller, dont damage your vegetation as much. But in your current set up you wouldnt see them very much, theyre bottom walkers, plus theres always the danger of the caiman damaging or hurting them.
I personally think you should wait with the turtles until you get more gallons of water and a good heavy filter. I know your pond is 150+ gallons but they have to share that water with a caiman at night (where most sliders and cooters sleep meaning the danger for accidents bigger).

And then i get the understanding you handle her alot? Im just curious on how its going, i've read and heard they are very hard to tame so my philosophy is as little handeling as possible. But i can clean mines cage without him hissing at me even though im very close, he has understood than when i enter the cage i wil be there for a short while and i will not harm or stress him so if he just sits quiet nothing happens. We tolerate each other, i have only handled him 3 times since i got mine in 2013 and that has been because of moving him to another cage. But im not saying its wrong to handle them frequently, just wanted to share my approach

Again awesome build :D and thumbs up for keeping a real pet! :D

22-01-2016 017.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store