The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I love sponge filters!! But IMO they r still fairly aesthetically unpleasing lol ...would you still get the same benefits running one in or sump tank filter??
maybe not = benefits(to in tank) ,,, but it will help...

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Well I took the plunge and removed my canister filter out of my discus tank. I have 2 50 gallon sponge filters in there and it is a 90 gallon tank. So I should be good I hope. I let them run in there for a little over a month before pulling out the canister filter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Well I took the plunge and removed my canister filter out of my discus tank. I have 2 50 gallon sponge filters in there and it is a 90 gallon tank. So I should be good I hope. I let them run in there for a little over a month before pulling out the canister filter.

Why did you remove the canister? I am assuming because discus like those better over the canisters.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Why did you remove the canister? I am assuming because discus like those better over the canisters.
Because Discus really don't like a lot of current. So far everything is going well. I also have one of those aquaclear cylinders in there with a fiber filter for mechanical filtration, but have only an aquaclear 10 on it which is the smallest power head they make.

manasota

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2012
United States

I'm getting ready to do the same. I change 50% of my water at least once a week so I don't really see the need for a canister or HOB. I can run the sponges for all my tanks (5) off one Tetra pump.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I'm getting ready to do the same. I change 50% of my water at least once a week so I don't really see the need for a canister or HOB. I can run the sponges for all my tanks (5) off one Tetra pump.
That is cool. My tank is doing great so far. I do 20% water changes every other day. Always have even with the canister filter. I did remove all my live plants yesterday though. They were not doing so well with all the oxygenation provided by all the air bubbles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store