The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Just looked up the above sponge filters on Amazon, they are now £17:50 with free p&p.

I have 8 tanks, all are run off air driven sponge filters. I also use a Eheim internal filter in each tank, these will go eventually.
I find I'm able to maintain Satanoperca (all 8 species) Retroculus, and dwarf Crenicichla, without any problems, I just do 10% water changes each day

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Just wanted to add to this thread, I just recently made the decision to run my tanks solely from sponges and circulation/wavemaker pumps. 50x turnover now in tanks, with huge biological efficiency from the sponges.

Quite recently I'd attempted to get rid of sponges in my planted tank, and run with internals, powerheads etc; but the scum on the water surface was horrific, so I'm back to the sponges; with co2 planning on being bubbled in at a higher rate to compensate...

I actually don't think I'd go back to power filters etc now, even if I was keeping massive fish; I'd just add more sponges and circulation pumps, just annoying cleaning internals and externals, plus the risk if they lose power!

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
This thread is what made me look into sponge filtration. I bought one sponge but didn't like the looks of it. Found some DIY sponges, no better. Then I found matten filters and if used is a corner style that mimics corner over flows, it looks awesome. When I saw mattens on a tank around or over 1000 gallons, it was a no brainer to me to ditch these useless canisters and go the sponge way. Go all my sponges from www.swisstropicals.com

Lemonhaus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2016
Slightly out of topic. I got a few pieces of these packing sponge used by Toshiba for shipping. Tight pores and takes a soaking to get water flowing thru. Will it be any good in a filter?

IMG_4223.JPG

Rushx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2015
How do you guys do water changes with a sponge filter in tank. I plan on adding a sponge filter in my 55. I change water with a 900 gph pond pump connected to a aqueon water changer, I unplug the pump, dose prime and fill up. Will I need to remove the sponge everytime I do a wc?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Will I need to remove the sponge everytime I do a wc?
Hello; I have a sponge filter in the corner of a 29 gallon tank along with a HOB. I do water changes and leave the sponge filter alone. I have run sponge filters in tanks alone before for long peroids of time. After a time I take the sponge filter out and give it a few squeezes in a bucket of water (usually tank water I have just siphoned out.) This squeezing flushes out some of the fine detritus that accumulates. I imagine some of the beneficial bacteria (bb) may get squeezed out, but not much. My take is that the bb are tenacious and that plenty will remain in the sponge. There will also be bb on other surfaces in the tank.

So take out the sponge filter with each water change if you wish. Squeeze it out if you wish. Just do not let it dry out.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Slightly out of topic. I got a few pieces of these packing sponge used by Toshiba for shipping. Tight pores and takes a soaking to get water flowing thru. Will it be any good in a filter?

View attachment 1173324
No, do not use this, that foam is not meant for water, it will break down in approx 30 days and you will have a mess on your hands, as I did. I tried to go the cheap route but it was a mistake. Take it from me, someone who has made this mistake and don't use it.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
How do you guys do water changes with a sponge filter in tank. I plan on adding a sponge filter in my 55. I change water with a 900 gph pond pump connected to a aqueon water changer, I unplug the pump, dose prime and fill up. Will I need to remove the sponge everytime I do a wc?
My sponges are corner style that mimic a corner overflow. They are kept in place by glass rods. You can remove it if you wish but I have yet to do so. I've had these running since Jan and haven't had the need to clean them yet.

Rushx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2015
Hello; I have a sponge filter in the corner of a 29 gallon tank along with a HOB. I do water changes and leave the sponge filter alone. I have run sponge filters in tanks alone before for long peroids of time. After a time I take the sponge filter out and give it a few squeezes in a bucket of water (usually tank water I have just siphoned out.) This squeezing flushes out some of the fine detritus that accumulates. I imagine some of the beneficial bacteria (bb) may get squeezed out, but not much. My take is that the bb are tenacious and that plenty will remain in the sponge. There will also be bb on other surfaces in the tank.

So take out the sponge filter with each water change if you wish. Squeeze it out if you wish. Just do not let it dry out.
My sponges are corner style that mimic a corner overflow. They are kept in place by glass rods. You can remove it if you wish but I have yet to do so. I've had these running since Jan and haven't had the need to clean them yet.
Oh cool. So the Bb should be safe as long as I dose prime first then add water?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Oh cool. So the Bb should be safe as long as I dose prime first then add water?
Hello; Yes this sounds right. The issues with a water change can be the chemicals in the water. Tap water can have a couple of treatment chemicals, usually chlorine and/or chloramine. The prime should take care of those.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store