The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Judge Holden- looks like that would work great. If you lose the bubble ring and just run a straight air line from a pump you would probably get even better flow, and it would still produce bubbles of course. As long as aquarium water is being drawn through the pores of the sponge, the sponge will harbor beneficial bacteria.
Make sure water can flow through the bottom of the log before it hits the sponge.

jakepittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
ireland
how many sponge filters=fx5 names and models please???

duipo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
England
Nice write up! :)

Judge Holden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Milwaukee
aclockworkorange;4590469; said:
If you lose the bubble ring and just run a straight air line from a pump you would probably get even better flow ...
Good idea! You should consider changing your screen name to Spongebob :thumbsup: (though I'd be amazed if someone doesn't already have it).

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
jakepittbull;4591924; said:
how many sponge filters=fx5 names and models please???

Oh I'd say 3 to 4 hydro V sponge filters would run a bioload similar to that of an fx5... Of course, I run an fx5 and two hydro Vs on my 125... Best of both worlds.

jakepittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
ireland
aclockworkorange;4592678; said:
Oh I'd say 3 to 4 hydro V sponge filters would run a bioload similar to that of an fx5... Of course, I run an fx5 and two hydro Vs on my 125... Best of both worlds.
i think i'll pick up some of them hydro sponges, thanks!

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I've never seen anyone mention the air pumps used to power the sponges. Sponge filters are so cheap that I wouldn't be surprised if the air pump costs more than the sponges themselves, especially for tanks with more height where an average air pump would be ineffective due to all the water pressure. Which air pumps are the most cost effective, quiet for bedroom tanks, multiple oulets and single outlet in comparison to price/noise, etc?

Very nice thread :D

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Freezekougra;4592933; said:
I've never seen anyone mention the air pumps used to power the sponges. Sponge filters are so cheap that I wouldn't be surprised if the air pump costs more than the sponges themselves, especially for tanks with more height where an average air pump would be ineffective due to all the water pressure. Which air pumps are the most cost effective, quiet for bedroom tanks, multiple oulets and single outlet in comparison to price/noise, etc?

Very nice thread :D
I did mention that in the article... Yes they definitely do cost more than sponge filters, but I feel like anyone with a fish tank should own an air pump as they are multi purpose and good things to have around.
I actually like the Penn plax brand pumps myself, another good choice would be the tetra whisper brand.
I also use them at night on my planted tank with co2, and use them if I need to isolate a fish for a day or two to treat it in a Q tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store