The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

JokerIndustries

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2010
Apple Valley
a friend of mine actually told me about the spong filter system about 4 years ago and i have been using them ever since... and that is my sole source of filtration for my 100 gallon...2 sponge filters... i have never had a problem and those in addition to frequent water changes and gravel vacumings... my water is always clear!

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Yeah, they work! I really wrote this because so many new young MFKers scoff at the idea of a sponge filter, but the truth is they are bad ass little filters you absolutely cannot beat for the price and all their benefits. Almost all my friends into serious fish keeping use them, they just hide them and won't admit it on MFK!

Hurst1401

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I use them for the sole reason of having a backup filter. I keep 2 in my main taink and pull one of them out for the hospital tank when one of the fish gets sick. Having fully established, portable filtration is priceless!

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
Freezekougra;4592933; said:
I've never seen anyone mention the air pumps used to power the sponges. Sponge filters are so cheap that I wouldn't be surprised if the air pump costs more than the sponges themselves, especially for tanks with more height where an average air pump would be ineffective due to all the water pressure. Which air pumps are the most cost effective, quiet for bedroom tanks, multiple oulets and single outlet in comparison to price/noise, etc?

Very nice thread :D

my personal choice would be a Fusion air pump. all of the ones i own are Fusion 600's. they are very versatile and VERY quiet. there is one larger size, the 700 model. but the 600 works great.

noledoc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
Johnson City, Tennessee
Hey, thanks for the good info. I'm interested in making my own sponge filgers DIY. Where can you get the sponge? I once tried collecting egg crate mattresses from the hospital where I worked. After they were used, they were discarded. I collected dozens and finally tried to run water thru them. H2O would not pass thru!! My wife loved it as I carried each one out. So humiliating.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
noledoc;4655879; said:
Hey, thanks for the good info. I'm interested in making my own sponge filgers DIY. Where can you get the sponge? I once tried collecting egg crate mattresses from the hospital where I worked. After they were used, they were discarded. I collected dozens and finally tried to run water thru them. H2O would not pass thru!! My wife loved it as I carried each one out. So humiliating.
I've seen mattenfilters made with cut sheets of bulk sponge used in pond setups.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I don't even know what exactly is going on in that picture, but I know it involves an fx5 and I LIKE IT!

Update: new use for a sponge filter and you heard it here first. Need to drip acclimate a new fish? Simply disconnect your airline hose from your pump while it is still connected to you sponge in the tank, suck the tube (lol) and create a siphon! Instant drip line! :headbang2:

yoyopeter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2010
CA
Question! How long does it take for bacteria to colonize in a new sponge filter? I heard it takes a minimum of 6 months...:eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store