Thinking of a sump

180maestro

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Newcastle
Hi, I am wanting to upgrade the filtration on my tank, currently have 2 large externals running but want to upgrade to a sump. I don't really want to drill my tank and with it being 15mm thick, think it might be a pain....

I like the idea of the diy overflow but I'm not sure how thick the pvc pipe will have to be to get the correct gph. The tank is 200g. Also any help as to what size the sump and pump i will need would be great!?

Thanks
Dave

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Hi, I am wanting to upgrade the filtration on my tank, currently have 2 large externals running but want to upgrade to a sump. I don't really want to drill my tank and with it being 15mm thick, think it might be a pain....

I like the idea of the diy overflow but I'm not sure how thick the pvc pipe will have to be to get the correct gph. The tank is 200g. Also any help as to what size the sump and pump i will need would be great!?

Thanks
Dave

I had a 210g with a 45g acrylic aquarium as thw sump. It was a diy and it was awesome....but diy way not be your thing so readily available sumps can be aquired through many sources. Submersible pumps are far easier to work with iMO, but external pumps can really make a system.
Good internal pumps around 1500-1600gph would make for good turnover...Eheim, LifegardQuieteOne Pro, Reeflo, Dolphin....I would recommend all of those. Others on here have experience with other pumps. QuietOne pro 6000 has always been reliable and quiet for me...Eheim even more so.
I think you could do a 35-40-45ish size sump and a 1200-1600gph return and have more than enough filter for that tank. Then setup.....but that's another thread.

180maestro

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Newcastle
I'm starting to over think this to the point that I'm getting confused.... the diy guy on YouTube says to have a return pump capable of running 6 times you aquarium volume, which would be 1200 gallons. So would I need to create an overflow capable of draining 1200 gallons?

He also started talking get about creating 2 overflows, and that just confused me even more. ..... haha

It'll be for a wet/dry if that makes amy difference! ?

I hope that makes sense.....

Last edited:

180maestro

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Newcastle
Looking at my tank in starting to think that drilling is the only option if I want to a go ahead with a sump, there is too much bracing around the top of the tank for a overflow box and the pre made holes in the top of the tank for the filters are not big enough to feed 1.5" pipe..... back to the drawing board...

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
The pre-made holes in the top are probably intended for pump return lines -- to pump water into the tank. Before you start drilling tanks, and running pipe, you really need to think this out. Another consideration is noise. If you want a truly silent tank, you might opt to go with a Beanimal or Herbie style overflow.

How about this. A beanimal style overflow, with a horizontal overflow box across the top and back of the tank. Dead silent, no adjustments later. You MIGHT even be able to drill the tank and install the overflow with the fish still in the tank, too--maybe. And you'd be skimming the widest possible area of the water surface--that's nice to have.

180maestro

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Newcastle
Yeah I'm running the 2 externals through the original holes, I'll measure the holes to see if I can get the 1.5 through.

I won't drill the tank, I would rather keep the 2 externals running, that's why I liked the diy overflow idea!...

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Drilling the tank is not as scary as it seems. I would reconsider your stance on not drilling. Slow and steady take breaks, and don't stress out and you should be fine. If you choose to go this way pm me or quote my post here and I will give you some more detailed tips.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store