Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

This is about Martinboys Piebald Zonatus

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by fsirico, Jan 9, 2012.

1. fsirico

fsirico MFK Members

Jan 6, 2014
      OK Guys the cats out of the bag lol. It is a 100% Zonatus. A Couple of years ago I bought a Wild pair from Gage and one of the spawn threw out 6 piebalds
      out of about 400. I asked Don Conkel and Gage about this and they never heard or saw this either. They asked to see picks of the Zonatus pair he sold me
      and confirmed they are Zonatus. So I am in the works of breeding more. One of the piebald fry must of jumped over into the Regular Zonatus tank next to it
      while I was feeding them. So Martinboy got lucky lol. I'm am still working on the Breeding project and will have them hopefully Available in the future.
      I will put up pics later of some of the other piebalds later.

2. Madness

Madness MFK Members

Shawn
      Jul 6, 2015
      Wow, interesting. Just a stupid question but was the Zo's by them selves when they spawned? Is there a small chance that another fish fertilized a handful?

3. TMSB805

TMSB805 MFK Members

Zach
      Jul 7, 2015
      hmmm.....

4. RD.

RD. Crazy Canuck

Yesterday at 11:32 PM
      Do you know what the collection location was of this wild pair? And/or were these some of Don's zontaus listed as Zonatus 'Mojarra Prieta'?

5. dogofwar

dogofwar MFK Members

Jul 27, 2015
      I would suspect that the "zonatum" have some other Paratheraps in them (like sp. "Catemaco" or "conkeli") that produced the unusual piebald offspring...before I would consider it to be a natural mutation that produced 6 "sport" offspring from a single spawn.

I would also ask Don / Gage about the particulars of sourcing the "wild" Zonatum. It hasn't been legal to export fish from Mexico - especially for commercial purposes - for some time (except under very strict circumstances). Don must have some paperwork to demonstrate when he sourced these fish from Tehuantepec, Mexico (where Zonatum are found)...

Matt

6. RD.

RD. Crazy Canuck

Yesterday at 11:32 PM
      I didn't want to be the first "hater" to say that, lol, but I agree with Matt.

7. fsirico

fsirico MFK Members

Jan 6, 2014
      all my pairs have their own tanks so there wasnt any chance of that.

8. TMSB805

TMSB805 MFK Members

Zach
      Jul 7, 2015
      \

Hence the reason my first post was simply......hmmm

9. fsirico

fsirico MFK Members

Jan 6, 2014
      I've already went over this with Don and Gage. These Zonatus were wild caught and quite large when I bought them so he had them for a while before I even bought them. I know Don knows what he has and been doing this practicaly all his life. He is also amazed.

10. fsirico

fsirico MFK Members

Jan 6, 2014
      When I was talking to Don he also told me about a Bifasiatis pair that did the same thing that happen to me years ago. He sold the couple he had cause he got big money for them. He said to himself that they would throw out more piebalds but never they never did again. Now he's upset about selling those.