Tig catfish, Brachyplatystoma tigrinum, ~15", in 4500 gal

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
IMHumO, this is the smoking gun. IME no predator can survive long term on non-fortified frozen food, from 1 year to 5 years at most it seems.
I haven't had much success getting my baby tig to switch over to carnivore, but it seems he has started taking Kens premium mini blackworm sticks. Do you think that is good? Or continue to try and get him onto carnivore?

kens pellets.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If your baby tig takes any pellet, it's good. The better the pellet quality, the better off the fish will be long term. The majority of this pellet seems to be terrestrial carbohydrates. I don't believe a tig can reach its full potential on pellets, but then I killed all the tigs I had had.

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
If your baby tig takes any pellet, it's good. The better the pellet quality, the better off the fish will be long term. The majority of this pellet seems to be terrestrial carbohydrates. I don't believe a tig can reach its full potential on pellets, but then I killed all the tigs I had had.
Ok thanks, i'll continue to try and switch to a better pellet. He wouldn't take ay frozen food on your list that i could find in my area and didn't want him to get hooked on the bad ones, so was quite happy he took these. Hopefully i can find a balance for him to reach his full potential. I appreciate all your posts on these guys!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
4 tigs get kicked out of their 240 gal to join their lone sibling in another 240 gal:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store