Tiger Datnoid.

TheJEWEL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2007
London
ive added some pics of it in my personal gallery. --cant figure how to attatch one into the message. take a look-- siamese tiger fish

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
TheJEWEL;1309561; said:
ive added some pics of it in my personal gallery. --cant figure how to attatch one into the message. take a look-- siamese tiger fish

i just looked at the pic in your gallery, and i would say that its an indo. especially if those pics are recent, it is too small to be a d. pulcher as babies havent been available in over a year. not commonly anyway.

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
TheJEWEL;1309321; said:
d.microlepis- is brackish (spfc. grvty: 1.005 - 1.010)

where is this quoted from? i know there has been mixed information on all species of dats on the net for years now. look at the areas where d. microlepis are commonly caught and to my knowledge these are freshwater areas.
im not ruling out they could possibly be kept in brackish conditions, but they are definitely not a bracksih only fish.

TheJEWEL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2007
London
zoo york, is a 'pulcher' the one shown in your gallery? - the fish in my pic looks pretty similar to yours? - I just picked up another juvenile tiger today with more defined stripes, which resembles yours a bit more.
islander- the book i've been referring to is 'brackish -water fishes' ---neale monks editor. been told my many that this is a good and reliable source for info.

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
TheJEWEL;1310582; said:
zoo york, is a 'pulcher' the one shown in your gallery? - the fish in my pic looks pretty similar to yours? - I just picked up another juvenile tiger today with more defined stripes, which resembles yours a bit more.
islander- the book i've been referring to is 'brackish -water fishes' ---neale monks editor. been told my many that this is a good and reliable source for info.
ive think ive heard of that book, and that has good info, but again, for datnioides species in particular the info has always been mixed.

and the only pics i see in zooyorks gallery are thin bars, not pulchers. although i do think he has some pulchers.

you do have some nice looking and stable little dats, but again i lean towards d. microlepis for the following reasons:

general bar pattern resembles that of what is more common in microlepis than pulcher such as the middle bar positioning and sweep. it also has a steep slope as opposed to a more gradual sweep back as found in d. pulcher. additonally siamese tiger will rarely have 3 tail stripes, where as indos can commonly have 3 or 2. i also feel that a pulcher the size of the one in your picture would be extremely hard to find, and very very expensive. the most recent pulcher ive seen at such a small size was almost a year ago in japan, and even then the id was questionable.

again very nice dats you have.

TheJEWEL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2007
London
thanks islander- very informative. youve got a lot of nice shots there too. Nice archers v. interesting behaviour. love the setup too - is that your aquarium? are they real mangrove roots?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store