Tigs fed on shrimp…

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Is there truth to the rumor that tigs should not be fed heavily on shrimp? I want to move my tig grow out to my ray tank but shrimp are a staple of the rays diet

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Is there truth to the rumor that tigs should not be fed heavily on shrimp? I want to move my tig grow out to my ray tank but shrimp are a staple of the rays diet
IME, rays were more detrimental to my tigs health than his staple of shrimp. 8yr old 20-22” specimen housed with a pair of marbles 18-20” range in an 8’x3’. Their breeding activity was too stressful for him. He was fed on shrimp soaked in vitachem exclusively its whole life. Succumb to an agro prego ray not the shrimp. If u have juvie/sub adult rays and or a place for the tig to safe guard itself u may b fine.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
IME, rays were more detrimental to my tigs health than his staple of shrimp. 8yr old 20-22” specimen housed with a pair of marbles 18-20” range in an 8’x3’. Their breeding activity was too stressful for him. He was fed on shrimp soaked in vitachem exclusively its whole life. Succumb to an agro prego ray not the shrimp. If u have juvie/sub adult rays and or a place for the tig to safe guard itself u may b fine.
They are scobina. Probably the easiest on tank mates
How long did you have your tig? On shrimp the whole time?
Thank you

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
They are scobina. Probably the easiest on tank mates
How long did you have your tig? On shrimp the whole time?
Thank you
Aye, shouldn’t be much worry at all then with scobina 💀🤙. 8 yrs for the tig on shrimp. I did soak it in vitachem for a majority of that time tho.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As has been reported many times, there are tig owners who swear that feeding crustaceans killed their tigs, but then there are other peers who report no problem with moderate or occasional inclusion of crustaceans.

I for one never understood why exactly crustaceans can kill tigs. My only two worthy thoughts have been:
- thiaminase richness of crustaceans
- formalin used as a preservative on shrimp for human consumption, maybe other crustaceans too, IDK.

Russ' data are very encouraging that fortifying shrimp properly can overcome the first problem even with 100% diet of shrimp. Skipping that (as Russ says he did sometimes) IMHumO would be playing russian roulette. I'd never skip, especially adding vitamin B1, which is destroyed by thiaminase.

Reactions: Charney and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store