Timor and ackie monitor care!!! NEED ANSWERS!

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
ya thanks. would a 2 times 2 times 3 (or 4) hold a timor for life????? do monitors die easily for reptile noobs?? don't wanna waste 300 bux.
Did you even read my first comment?? NO, that size tank will NOT hold a Timor for life. What I said was NOT "This is nice but it doesn't need to be this big, you could have it smaller." What I said was "The tank must be AT LEAST 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft, it CAN NOT be any smaller.

Yes, Monitors die very easily if they are not taken care of exactly right. If you have never had any reptile before, a monitor is WAY too advanced. Get a Leopard Gecko or something like that. They are cheaper, easier to keep, and can be kept in a much smaller cage.

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
Come on seriously!!!...:swear:.Do some intense research for a couple months before you dive head on to this & regret it!!!!I've have ball pythons,leopard & crested geckos,skinks & tegus.Studied monitors for months ,then decided to purchase an ackie.I had put him in a 75g with 4" of substrate.I thought no biggy, the bigger enclosure will be done soon on a budget!! Guess what!?I went way over budget & before the enclosure was done, i was an ackie short to fill it with!!! Unless you wanna become like this fella,with a huge empty enclosure & no reptile go ahead!!!Im not proud to admit this,but i've learned from my mistakes & am trying to help you to prevent this,thats all!!!!

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Did you even read my first comment?? NO, that size tank will NOT hold a Timor for life. What I said was NOT "This is nice but it doesn't need to be this big, you could have it smaller." What I said was "The tank must be AT LEAST 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft, it CAN NOT be any smaller.

Yes, Monitors die very easily if they are not taken care of exactly right. If you have never had any reptile before, a monitor is WAY too advanced. Get a Leopard Gecko or something like that. They are cheaper, easier to keep, and can be kept in a much smaller cage.
don't Timors grow to about a feet??? i've researched that ackies only need a 3 times 1.5 times 1.5 for life is that true??

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
ok i'll forget about about the timors LOLS

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
You could house an ackie in there ,but it's still on the small side for them.A 5 foot long,2.5 foot wide,3 feet tall.A foot out of the height u have to give them.Substrate 3/4 topsoil, 1/4 play sand.The substrate is because they are borrowers,they dig to feel secure ,nest & to help shedding!!You must mix the substrate well & add water until it sticks,to be able to not collapse on there borrows!!Not muddy,please!!Also there should be a warm side & cool side in the tank,Cool side no less then 80f at night in the higher 80's in the day. Basking spot should go from 120f up to 15f. Some ackies grow up to 2. 1'2 feet long would you like to be in a room where u couldn't turn around?See what im trying to get.The more space the better & healthier the monitor will grow,different temperatures & humidity levels he can choose from! Not alone the room he'll have to exercise & to do acrobats. Lol There fun to watch in proper settings & can be very rewarding as long as you DO IT RIGHT!!!That's all like anything else proper care healthy animal,poor care....DEAD ANIMAL!!!:hitting:

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
don't Timors grow to about a feet??? i've researched that ackies only need a 3 times 1.5 times 1.5 for life is that true??
No, they can grow over two feet, three feet according to some people.

That size cage could maybe work for a very small female ackie. Problem is, you can't really tell the sex on them, or whether they've got genes that will make them grow bigger or smaller than average. The MINIMUM I would ever put an ackie in would be 4 by 2 by 2 with 8 to 12 inches of substrate.

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
Try a different species of lizard. Monitors are not for small enclosures or restrictive budgets. The cost of the animal is one thing, but most monitors require a custom cage, which can cost hundreds, and cost a lot to feed compared to pretty much any other reptile.

Best,
Paul

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
This is a 4x3x3 its goona house 2 timors for 3 months then it will be 7'tall x 4'long x 3'wide & this is still on the small side for them!I thought it would 250$ to build it,with out buying plywood i've spent 400$.Most of the materials i had laying around.They eat like lil pigs.Sorry but no monitors are for anyone with tight budgets.I hope i'm not offending you, we're just looking out for you!!Your wallet & these reptiles.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This is a 4x3x3 its goona house 2 timors for 3 months then it will be 7'tall x 4'long x 3'wide & this is still on the small side for them!I thought it would 250$ to build it,with out buying plywood i've spent 400$.Most of the materials i had laying around.They eat like lil pigs.Sorry but no monitors are for anyone with tight budgets.I hope i'm not offending you, we're just looking out for you!!Your wallet & these reptiles.
LOLS thanks. A rich 14 year old?? . What if a bought a adult ackie monitor of 10 inches??
I went to an expo and I saw a breeding pair of so called "fully matured red ackies (i think)" that was roughly 10 inches???? it was around 1200 bucks though!!!!!!! dang.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store