Tin foil barbs with a ray?

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Getting a baby moto soon. And was recently given 5. 3 or 4 inch tin foils.
They are a nice looking fish and seem harmless. Would they be okay with a baby ray?

Thanks

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
I tried it but found the tin foils would nip at the end of the rays tails. I ended up having to remove them. I wouldn't recommend it from personal experience, but I have seen others do it successfully.

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
I had 6x 9-10" with 3 of my rays. My big female took out 4 within the first week of them being together, only ate the heads though. They were also nipping at the end of their tails. I thought it was a good idea but i was wrong. Most successful tank mates thus far for myself have been Jade goby's also known as fathead sleeper goby.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Well the ray I'm getting is the same size,
essentially have 2 tanks, have a piranha, who needs his own, so tin's either go in with ray, try to find a new home. or go in with my monster. :)
Mixed experiences seems it's worth the try, I'll see how it goes.

I really wanted a larger schooling fish in with the ray.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Tin foil should be fine imo, but safety in numbers I have found. I have lost the odd one when rays were smaller and so were the tin foil. But I now have 8 full grown tin foil and the same number of rays and everyone is fine together.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I used to have a school of tin foil barbs, I think I had 6 or 7 or them, they were all pretty large, 6"+ each. I found they scared my rays. The barbs were jumpy and always darting around. The rays hid in the sand a ton more because of it. I gave them to someone else as soon as I could.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Ya, I'm going to try it and see how the ray does. If all else fail's, I'll rehome the barbs. but hoping they can play nice and get along :)

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Yes please! I live my tonfoil barbs. Good at cleaning up after the rays. Move a lot. Never had issues. That being said, you will have them disappear or killed on occasion.

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store