Tinfoil Barbs and tank size

MikenJackie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2016
Hello all, a few months ago we took in 2 tinfoil barbs, they came in a 30 gallon tank and I was told they are going on 16 years old. We are upgrading to a 65 gal tank this weekend, what I am wondering is seeing they are about 6 inches, but extremely healthy considering the smaller tank, will they finally grow more? The tank we are getting comes with a few other fish, 2 oscars, I think an angelfish, and not sure what else. Once the tank is up and running we'll get some pics up. Thanks for any advice, Mike.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
that tank is way too small for 2 Oscars, and 2 tinfoils let alone anything else. they may grow but if they've been stunted that long its unlikely they'll hit full potential. You'll need a much larger tank for all of that to coexist peacefully.

Reactions: Skalper666

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
16 years? I'm surprised they've lived that long considering how stunted they are. I doubt they'll do any growing.
And the 65 is way too small for two oscars. It'll be too small for one oscar in a year.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would agree with the others, at 16 yrs they should be almost 2 ft long.
They probably adapted to a life with few water changes, and this is why they are so stunted. A proper tank for the combination of fish you mention might be more apt if in the 150 -200 gallon or larger range.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yup concur. If they ever grow much more, that would be unexpected but great. However, in a 65 gallon with that stock, they would likely face similar constraints even if more growth was possible.

Just not enough healthy water for them to grow.

MikenJackie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2016
Well we decided on not taking the oscars, they are much larger in person then they appear in the picture. Figure that we will let out barbs live out the rest of their lives in the bigger tank if they grow or not, I think they will be happier having a bigger space.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Well we decided on not taking the oscars, they are much larger in person then they appear in the picture. Figure that we will let out barbs live out the rest of their lives in the bigger tank if they grow or not, I think they will be happier having a bigger space.
Sounds like a good idea. You could always stock some smaller fish with the tinfoils.

Reactions: MikenJackie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store