Titan triggerfish

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Has anyone ever kept one. What happened and did it hide alot. How fast do they grow. How much did you pay and how big was it.

I Am thinking about having a trigger tank in a 50 gallon and am wondering if they will do well with other triggers like bursa's niger's and clowns. Thanks.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The Titan trigger is one of the larger (30"+) and most aggressive trigger species. They'll readily attack anything in their territory including dive photographers. Most definitely NOT a species for a 50 gal.

I've usually kept a small marine tank just for Humu triggers. They're an active smaller (around 11") species that is one of the least aggressive to keep in a comm. The humu is my go-to for amusing guests with its common name of Humu-humu-nuku-nuku-apua-a trigger.

huma.jpg

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I have a 450 gallon he could go in as an adult but i don't want to have a 4 inch triggerfish by himself in a 450 gallon. Do you think a 4 inch titan triggerfish could go with my 6 inch undulate triggerfish. Also could it go with a larger clown triggerfish until the titan triggerfish gets bigger than the clown triggerfish. (Then the clown triggerfish would go into a 180 gallon).

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The only trigger as nasty or worse than a titan would be an undulate. I don't recommend comming either of these species. Especially bad is trying to introduce an aggressive species into a system with an established aggressive species. I've kept big clowns in comm setups but, that's a risk, too. More times than not a clown will eventually have a bad day and proceed to rip its tankmates apart.

titan.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Here's a good book containing basic descriptions of different trigger species, their habits and their husbandry:

triggerfishes.jpg

BTW, awesome white undulate in your avatar. I remember that specimen from Reef-Builders.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The humu trigger looks like it has Jar Jar Binks' lips.

Xubar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2015
After searching over a year, I finally came across a titan. He's all of 6" and won't give an inch to my 9" queen trigger.

Those two rule the tank, but I also have 4 other triggers: undulated, clown, blueline, niger. As well as some dither fish. I keep them all well fed and keep up on weekly water changes.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice color on that trigger.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
That is an amazing tank. I would love to be able to watch them swim around that tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store