Too many types of bio media to choose one, Recommendations?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
+1 - I have a rubbermaid bin full of bio-media accumulated over the years: bio balls, pot scrubbies, plastic army men, pieces of lava rock, etc, etc. Anything that has lots of surface area will work well.

Matt

They all do the same thing, although it's the amount of square footage on each that supposedly makes one better than the other because there is more space for beneficial bacteria to colonize.
I use lava rock, but scrubbies or old tooth brushes are almost equally as effective, because in the end, every surface in the tank is colonized and covered with bio-film.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Devils advocate here. Everyone has their personal preference for bio media and everyone says theirs is the best. No one has given a qualifier on why "their" product is the best. Why is yours the best? :devil:

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com

Bekko76

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2012
England
Absolute best is Biohome mini Ultra but only available online from the UK, latest video on you tube says it will be available in the USA soon ?

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
I use seachem matrix and fluval noodle mix. noodles in HoB, matrix in the canisters.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Devils advocate here. Everyone has their personal preference for bio media and everyone says theirs is the best. No one has given a qualifier on why "their" product is the best. Why is yours the best? :devil:
Nobody gonna answer?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
IMO its a combination of media and the best ones have huge surface area and are placed strategically so they don't get clogged up.

So I have the bottom of my sump on my 720 I have a passive area with blocks of marinepure and then pounds of marinepure, eheim substrate, pond matrix, chem stars all under water then the sump is filled with bio balls. Of course lots of pads before water enters. From all my research the bio balls are awesome because they never get clogged up.

So the best media with huge surface area placed correctly in filters to do different things.

Marine Pure Blocks are one of the best if you don't let them clog up since they are proven to have the most surface area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store