Tools for MFK DIY types!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Good morning,

Try right clicking on the link and choose "Save Target As". If you still have troubles, let me know please.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
I finished the Pump Flow Calculator today. I tested it with data from a couple of pumps that had published performance and it seems to be working fine and is in agreeance with the manufactuer's limitations.

If you see any issues, please let me know. Also, if other fittings or pipe sizes need to be added, be sure to pass it on.

Hope you can get some use out of it! (PS...for now, you have to have Excel. I am trying to learn how to run it as a web based program. But, I am an idiot...you might be better off buying Excel instead of waiting on me! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a screen shot of the ViaAqua 2300 pump calc with 4' of vertical piping plus a basic plumbing arrangement. Looking at the results in "green" at the bottom, we see the pump is capable of producing the flow we want and it has enough pressure (head) to create this flow. Basically, we determined we want 450 GPH minimum with this set up. The results are actually close to 500 GPH.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's say we have the same arrangement, but we want to run 6' of vertical piping. You can see the results at the bottom showing the pump doesn't have enough pressure to have any flow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that I took some liberties. Friction values for example are an average of all common materials. If you use stainless pipe, your results are theoretically slightly different than PVC pipe...but at these low flow rates, the differences are extremely small.

Viscosity (cP) is actually a carry over value from a related calculator. I left it in the file since it was easier than re-doing all the formulas :) In the screen shots, it shows a value of "2", but I was testing still when I did the capture. Water by default is "1".

Also, I kept Specific Gravity for the Brackish and Salt keepers.

Finally, here is the file: PD CALC

Thanks!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Hi Kaya, and thank you. Glad to see others are using the info here.

Unfortunately, you need Microsoft Excel to use PD Calc. I am not sure if it will work within OpenOffice or not. Do you have Microsoft Office on your PC?

thegs68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal, Canada
This is a good section having all tools that would be useful for a build from scratch. Keep up the good work and idea's everybody. I will probably have to read this a couple of times to get some things straight in my head. :WHOA:

Departure

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2013
Australia
here is something I programmed for calculations, its still in kinda "beta" stage and have plenty more to work on, but still never the less it is working and will calculate most things related to aquariums for you. I am sure there will be bug as I haven't added much error handling for the program, but please feel free to add sugestion and feature to add to this program.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eiiogyv7rw7yz7v

While it does have your normal conversion stuff in the calculator it based on the metric system, I will update it soon to accomadate our American and English friends...

Departure

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2013
Australia
Got a few people asking "What does it do" so instead of explaining let me post a screen shot of the calculators so far

Screen Shot:
2jfx9fq.png

2jfx9fq.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store