Treating Parasites

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Hello, this is my first post here. I have been lurking for quite awhile, read plenty of posts over the past year. Anyways, my Red Terror (festae) I believe has an internal parasite. He has not been eating at all, and his stomach is a bit concave. His poops are white/clear and stringy. I gave him a bath in table salt a few days ago, for about 30 minutes. One of the fungal looking spots on his head disappeared. I went on down to my LFS today, and they told me to get some epsom salts, 1 teaspoon per gallon a day for 5 days. I have him in a 30 gallon hospital tank now, and added 30 teaspoons of magnesium sulfate. I was also advised to turn up the temp to 84, i set it to about 82. They gave me some rosy reds to see if he would eat these, and hes attacked two of them, i assume hes probably consumed about 3/4-1 whole minnow. He is looking extremely lethargic in this tank, and his colors are all dark/dull. Does this sound about right? Anything else I should be doing/not doing? I'm aware the table salt bath may not have been the best idea, although some people seem to think its not bad at all. Thanks in advance guys, Raul (my fish) appreciates it. He is about 7 inches by the way, presumably male.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Add some prazi pro. Stop with the feeders. I would keep the temp down a bit as its not obviously Ich but that's just me.

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Ok, I'll turn it down a bit. I have never given any of my fish feeders before, was just trying to get him to eat something. The guy at the LFS (not petco, etc.) seemed to think the medication needed to be eaten to be effective. Can i literally just put it in the water?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There are medicated foods as well. I get what ur saying about the feeders. Just if ur fish are sick and using lfs feeders...it looks bad.

Can dose per the bottle. Keep with the salt baths.

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Yeah, I understand what it looks like, I should have specified. I will try to get him to eat some medication, or order some of the liquid off amazon or something. Greatly appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
See if you can get some from ur lfs. They should carry it. Even my Petco has some.

There are medicated IP foods too.

If it works then it should be better in a couple of days. Then ahould start eating.

Crossing my fingers for u!

Reactions: Kesha's Boyfriend

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
no meds yet, as LFS is closed, but he IS eating the feeders, and I see regular colored poop coming out finally ^_^

Kesha's Boyfriend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Raul ate/killed like 6 of the feeders last night. I removed the remainder today, picked up some prazi pro at my LFS and dosed the tank. Will be attempting to feed him food dipped in prazi pro in a bit.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I would try the epsom salt treatment posted by RD. Worked for me in a similar situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store