Tried a lily pond this year...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The pond is nothing fancy. It's a 450 gal poly bin. It contains a bunch of pond plants, 18 Wakin goldfish, about a dozen or so japanese trapdoor snails, and a colony of gammarus shrimp (scuds). It's filtered by a solar powered pump on a PF5 pond filter and a solar powered pond aerator. Both solar systems have battery backups to run the equipment overnight.

banana.jpg

The philodendron, lilies, and red banana provide some shade to keep the pond from overheating. The red banana had doubled in size since planting it this past summer. The pond also contains anacharis, dwarf papayrus, lucky bamboo, and purple pickerel plants.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
We enjoyed the pond a lot this year and decided to set up another one and try our hand at propagating a giant amazon water lily. So, we picked up a 3500 gal pond that we'll be setting up before the early spring rains.
giantlily.jpg

Some of the wakins will be transferred to the new pond, as well as trapdoor snails and gammarus shrimp. We'll also border the pond with giant Thai elephant ear plants as well as some other varieties of smaller water lily species.

61zyc7ZXuDL._SX300_.jpg

The larger pond should provide enough room to grow out a couple of hi-fin banded sharks. It's been decades since I've grown this species out so, I'm looking forward to getting them again.

hifinshark.jpg

Mosquito and hair algae control will be via Florida flag fish (along with the trapdoor snails)

jordanella_floridae.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Those lilly flowers that are two colours are truely amazing.
Thanks! We were surprised by them, too. If anything, they made us monitor the pond more closely for the chance of seeing more of them.

Reactions: J. H.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
That's really very cool, the flowers are awesome. Great job, I love it maybe next year I'll try something like that.

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
What part of the country are you in? I'd love to do this but it gets too cold here in nebraska.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'm about an hour north of the Gulf shores in Alabama. The temp occasionally gets down to freezing surface water. We have to bring some of the plants in for about a month. The planted tropical trees receive a large mulch pile around their bases. The pond doesn't freeze due to the aerators keeping the surface moving.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store