Trimming vals?

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I have a cluster of giant vals in my tank I would like to get them to spread more and send out more runners. The current cluster is 5 plants all connected by runners all are easily 36" plus in length(in a 22 inch tall tank). I use root tabs and a 12 hour light period each day (just T8's) and no co2.

My understanding is that removing length will not harm the plant. My main question is about separating the runners.

1. Will this make the plants spread and send off runners of their own?
2. If I remove the runners do I cut it right against the root ball or more towards the middle?
3. When I do remove the length should I cut it at an angle or does it matter?
4. Am I correct removing length will not hurt the plants? Even if it is half the length?
5. Can I separate all the plants or should I leave them in clusters of 2-3?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I have always let my plants do their thing but the val seems to have stalled on spreading and I want to really fill the center of my tank with it. all my fish weave through it like crazy (especially my polys)

rooto56

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
usa
Typically trimming the leaves of Val's will cause most of the leaf to melt. When separating runners, cut off the stem between the mother plant, so that you basically have two plants and no leftover stem from when they were connected. The tiny daughtet plants will then be encouraged to grow larger and produce runners of their own. The only thing that will speed up the spread of the plant is a good nutritious substrate.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Typically trimming the leaves of Val's will cause most of the leaf to melt. When separating runners, cut off the stem between the mother plant, so that you basically have two plants and no leftover stem from when they were connected. The tiny daughtet plants will then be encouraged to grow larger and produce runners of their own. The only thing that will speed up the spread of the plant is a good nutritious substrate.
Thanks I will leave the length then and just seperate them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store