Trout Season Opener April 2nd for 17 SE Counties in PA.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I live five minutes from Marsh and I love it. Never on a boat, always working from the shore. I fish the local ponds more often though, better odds and some big fish.

Reactions: Frank Castle

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Stocking in SEPA has sucked this year. Low clear water has not helped either. I've had far more success on the wild trout streams that either are not stocked at all or recieve a small stocking. Even out in Huntingdon and Centre county the stockings were sub par and fish weren't distributed like normal. Although with the tough conditions I've managed a pretty decent "season" so far

Reactions: Frank Castle

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Jealous. Unfortunately all we have left in jersey is rainbows. All the Browns and brooks at the hatchery got that disease. Not gonna be stocked for a few years. Still have a couple wild and holdovers but they're disappearing quickly.

Would love to come fish PA waters one day.
They dissapear so quick because you have anglers that think they need to fish all the time and keep fish everytime they go out. Man would it be nice if more anglers practiced catch and release!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I live five minutes from Marsh and I love it. Never on a boat, always working from the shore. I fish the local ponds more often though, better odds and some big fish.
Stocking in SEPA has sucked this year. Low clear water has not helped either. I've had far more success on the wild trout streams that either are not stocked at all or recieve a small stocking. Even out in Huntingdon and Centre county the stockings were sub par and fish weren't distributed like normal. Although with the tough conditions I've managed a pretty decent "season" so far
They dissapear so quick because you have anglers that think they need to fish all the time and keep fish everytime they go out. Man would it be nice if more anglers practiced catch and release!
Not sure how I missed a whole page of this thread for over a week, but ok, whatever lol Glad to see it's getting some action.

Speaking of action, I took the day and went down to Stoney Creek yesterday and got about 5 hours in while the rain finally let up for a bit, went 10-for 12, Grand Slam - all 3 species including some HEFTY 2lb Brookies, 14.5" and 14" - Stoney Creek stocks the FATTEST trout I have ever seen. Unfortunately one of the 2 I lost was an 8.4lb Rainbow which measured 26.25" and had a 16" girth. I only know because 4 hours after my lure was dislodged from it's massive jaws, a young girl w/ Powerbait ended up catching her so I took the measurements for them just as I was leaving. :( Very sad to see the monsterfish I lost mere hours before. It hit on a Rebel Teeny-wee Crawfish, Natural/orange-belly.....the reason I lost it was because as I was reeling my lure upstream, he followed, hit and kept swimming up stream all at once so I never felt the hit - only reason I knew it was on my line was because I saw the beast jump and it had my lure in it's mouth....it went under a tree/roots system and I pulled it a bit to keep it from wrapping me up and I ended up pulling the lure right out of it's mouth :(

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure how I missed a whole page of this thread for over a week, but ok, whatever lol Glad to see it's getting some action.

Speaking of action, I took the day and went down to Stoney Creek yesterday and got about 5 hours in while the rain finally let up for a bit, went 10-for 12, Grand Slam - all 3 species including some HEFTY 2lb Brookies, 14.5" and 14" - Stoney Creek stocks the FATTEST trout I have ever seen. Unfortunately one of the 2 I lost was an 8.4lb Rainbow which measured 26.25" and had a 16" girth. I only know because 4 hours after my lure was dislodged from it's massive jaws, a young girl w/ Powerbait ended up catching her so I took the measurements for them just as I was leaving. :( Very sad to see the monsterfish I lost mere hours before. It hit on a Rebel Teeny-wee Crawfish, Natural/orange-belly.....the reason I lost it was because as I was reeling my lure upstream, he followed, hit and kept swimming up stream all at once so I never felt the hit - only reason I knew it was on my line was because I saw the beast jump and it had my lure in it's mouth....it went under a tree/roots system and I pulled it a bit to keep it from wrapping me up and I ended up pulling the lure right out of it's mouth :(
That sounds like a good day of Trout fishing. And 2 pound Brookies, those are some fatties! My PB for Brooks is a 15" native from last July (aiming for 16" this year"), but I don't think it could've been more than 1.5 pounds.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That sounds like a good day of Trout fishing. And 2 pound Brookies, those are some fatties! My PB for Brooks is a 15" native from last July (aiming for 16" this year"), but I don't think it could've been more than 1.5 pounds.
LOL IKR!!! Dude, 2lbs definitely but only 14" and 14.5" long!!! That's just riDICulous!!!!! Stoney creek just dumped their "leftovers" locally up here a few minutes away for a kiddie-rodeo they do on Mother's Day every year at Swamp Creek so, I'm about to take a ride and see if the water levels are fishable and try for some more of these beasts and I don't have to drive no damn 45 minutes to get there now. Biggest I seen from the Swamp was a 22" recreationally (after the rodeo was over) and a 27" won the rodeo last year. it's only goes for 4 hours 8am-noon, then it's open to GP aftter that, hopefully the "PTSD"/Shell-shock from transport is over and they are hitting now....usually it's hella work for the 1st few days since they are so skittish and shocked

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
LOL IKR!!! Dude, 2lbs definitely but only 14" and 14.5" long!!! That's just riDICulous!!!!! Stoney creek just dumped their "leftovers" locally up here a few minutes away for a kiddie-rodeo they do on Mother's Day every year at Swamp Creek so, I'm about to take a ride and see if the water levels are fishable and try for some more of these beasts and I don't have to drive no damn 45 minutes to get there now. Biggest I seen from the Swamp was a 22" recreationally (after the rodeo was over) and a 27" won the rodeo last year. it's only goes for 4 hours 8am-noon, then it's open to GP aftter that, hopefully the "PTSD"/Shell-shock from transport is over and they are hitting now....usually it's hella work for the 1st few days since they are so skittish and shocked
Went 6 for 10 today and one of the lost ones was actually a broken line!!! Haven't had a broken line from a trout in like forever, but anyway, I missed one on powerbait just cuz I wasn't paying attention and he hit and was late on the hookset, then I had 2 smack my Rebel Crickhopper and wiggled off during the fight, but I did get a few on it, and I got the rest on Powerbait and 1 minnow. Was using a "double-dip" - the guys said the bright orange was working best, but I didn't have any, and I figured everything was scent-hunting from the dingy water clarity, so I did a dollop of light-chartreuse Garlic-scented on top, and a dollop of Rainbow garlic-scented on bottom (favoring the orange swirls) and they were on it like Bloodhounds.

Grand Slam again, more of those NICE BIG FAT Brook Trout, kept 3, and the other 2 were some husky Rainbows and I released 1 Brown that was 12"+ but somewhat skinny by comparison to the others. Saw a kid in a wheelchair and his mom trying to get lucky while I was on my way out so I stopped and gave them some tips and pointers - they had 10-15lb line and didn't really know much about trout and heavy line, so I taught them the Cinch knot and how to tie a leader w/ a barrel swivel and rig for trout and gave them some #14 hooks, 10 feet of 4 lb test for more leaders and half a jar of garlic powerbait. I return the favor when I can, growing up w/ a single mother, she didn't know fishing that much, so random fishermen I met taught me tricks and tactics, I learned stuff from whoever I could, whenever I could and/or taught myself most of the time. Now I try to do the same for others when I can. They were very appreciative and eager to learn

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Noice! How do those guys taste? I've always wanted to try one.
if u grab the smaller ones like these 26"- 28" -ers, and you do them right, they taste like LOBSTER, believe it or not. I won't eat anything over 28'', predatory fish have higher concentrations of contaminants and the bigger ones are the worst. Best tasting of our native cats, we eat about 2-3 per YEAR though.....between my family of 8+STD_1449.JPG <---- my 20.75", 3lb 14.5oz. Rainbow from last May....the other shots were too blurry to see the tape measure

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store