Aug 13, 2010
CA
how big do trumpet knifefish get?

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
They can reach 20 inches in an aquarium, but they lay on the bottom most of the day so they do not need a super huge aquarium. A 65 gallon would probably one to two plenty of room to swim, when they're awake.

gianniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
sydney
ghost knifes aren't aggressive as people say.
they do hold their ground and most fish will back off (including other ghost knife). Once the pecking order is established, they will get along fine.
oh make sure each ghost knife has a home.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
where on earth did you find them. forget info. the fish themselves are impossible to find at retailers

Monster Lover

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2015
Hi guys, I am planning to keep Clown knife fish, Aba Aba knife fish and Trumpet knife fish along with an aligator Gar. I want to know if they can gel with each other. I know Clown knife is aggressive. Need assistance before I go ahead and buy something. Its a future plan. So is it a good idea to keep all these fishes together?
Appreciate your reply

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
No!!! Don't do it!!! Mixing peaceful Knifefish such as trumpets with the most aggressive... Aba abas will not work out. The aba abas will eventually eat every thing except the gar. Just please for the sake of the fish don't do it!!!!!

Monster Lover

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2015
No!!! Don't do it!!! Mixing peaceful Knifefish such as trumpets with the most aggressive... Aba abas will not work out. The aba abas will eventually eat every thing except the gar. Just please for the sake of the fish don't do it!!!!!

Thanks for your reply :) So is it a good Idea to keep Aba Aba & Spotted gar together?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for your reply :) So is it a good Idea to keep Aba Aba & Spotted gar together?
The aba aba will likely kill your spotted gar. It may work for awhile but one day you may come home and find chunks missing/eyes missing or dead. Most aba abas end up being a solo fish and needing a large tank. Awesome fish but this is the behavior of aba aba usually. There are a few members that kept them with other big big fish but long term is unlikely. Even then I've seen aba abas take out big arrows, cats, and etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store