Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

turn heater off when cleaning your aquarium.

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by oscaroo, Feb 12, 2012.

1. oscaroo

oscaroo MFK Members

Gianni
      Jun 6, 2013
      Mine burned the suction cups on it off. It broke sevrel important parts. It is it to like 72 degrees and it is a bout 80 degrees I had to buy a other heater. I was going to buy a cheapo heater. but my dad said that it could hurt my fish. He said that it would break easily too. So i borrowed some money and bought a 300 Wat fluvel heater. the tank is 75 gallons. no fish got hurt. just my heater.

2. skjl47

skjl47 MFK Members

Today at 12:32 AM
      Hello; Having learned the hard way many years ago, I now unplug heaters and allow them to sit in place a whle before removing them from a tank. If in a hurry i have a container that will not be affected by heat to place one in. I have melted a few things by laying a still hot heater on them.
      When changing water I do not lower the water level lower than an inch or so above the heater element. I also do not stick a hot heater back into a tank. I have several heaters in a box that I put back into service from time to time I test them by plugging them in and running the thermostat up untill they come on to see if they still work. They will stay hot for a while after being unplugged so I usually have a glass bowl to put the in untill cold. I always put a cold heater into a tank.

Learning the hard way is likely going to be a part of the hobby. Good luck.

3. J.Lake

J.Lake MFK Members

Big poppa Jus
      Feb 18, 2013
      i always unplug my heaters for waterchanges, bc i do at least 50 percent at a time

4. fishfanatic46

fishfanatic46 MFK Members

noah
      Apr 30, 2015
      Also

5. oscaroo

oscaroo MFK Members

Gianni
      Jun 6, 2013
      i do 2 30 percent changes in my tanks weekly. maybe I should unplug my heaters like an hour before i clean my tanks.

6. slayer5590

slayer5590 MFK Members

John
      Yesterday at 6:36 PM
      i forgot to unplug my heater once. sounded like a gunshot when it exploded

7. oscaroo

oscaroo MFK Members

Gianni
      Jun 6, 2013

8. Bottomfeeder

Bottomfeeder MFK Members

Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
      Tuesday at 2:50 AM

I snapped one clean in half once when I had my Senegal. Luckily it was unplugged, but it spewed silver liquid and tiny metal marbles everywhere. I scooped her into a bucket and changed allllll the water.

9. oscaroo

oscaroo MFK Members

Gianni
      Jun 6, 2013
      I hate in when fish supplies break. How did it break when it was not on? did your sython bump into it?

10. Mavrick813

Mavrick813 MFK Members

Jan 1, 2015
      I had one I left on once, Started filling the tank and heard BAM! Damn things explode when their hot and get hit with cold water.

Mike

PS: Now all my heaters are plugged into one surge arrest. Just flick a switch.