turn heater off when cleaning your aquarium.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
After a water change i normally leave my heaters un-plugged for about an hour or more before i turn them back on... although that depends on how cold the water going into the tank is... if its a lot colder, then sometimes i let it sit longer before turning it back on...

Tim Wheatley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
United States
timwheatley.org
I Never unplug for water changes on any tank, but the level doesn't get low enough either even though I do 50% changes. I also equalize the temp (I know where to put the tap) so its never exposed to cold water (tanks are usually 76, tap is usually within 2 degrees. I'm not sure why anyone would put much colder water, enough to shatter a heater, directly into a tank anyway. Isn't that asking your fish to go into shock too?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
I thought the newer heaters turned off automatically once they are out of water ?. This would make it safe to not have to unplug them.

Raven20

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2011
Baltimore
Just submerge it to the bottom of the tank......problem solved..

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I Never unplug for water changes on any tank, but the level doesn't get low enough either even though I do 50% changes. I also equalize the temp (I know where to put the tap) so its never exposed to cold water (tanks are usually 76, tap is usually within 2 degrees. I'm not sure why anyone would put much colder water, enough to shatter a heater, directly into a tank anyway. Isn't that asking your fish to go into shock too?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I don't know about the rest of us... but i have a special outlet i put into my apartment for filling up fish tanks to make my life easier... but because there is no water heater... whatever the temp is outside, is what the temp of the water going into the tank is going to be... so basically if its really cold out, then i just have to fill the tank really slowly to prevent shock... where as if its warm out, i can just fill the tank as fast as the water will come out the tap...

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
The fluvals are compleatly submergable. there is a canadian law that makes them put a maxium water line. i looked at some old threads from varios fourms. They are compleatly submergable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store