turn heater off when cleaning your aquarium.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
I always turn off my heaters during water changes.

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
confused? pretty much all that you need to do for safety sake is push the heater to the bottom of the tank below were you are draining. I have blown one up in the past before i ever new better so i cant talk much. I allways place them side ways in my tanks now about a inch from the bottom. Slowly converting over to all in lines thow

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
confused? pretty much all that you need to do for safety sake is push the heater to the bottom of the tank below were you are draining. I have blown one up in the past before i ever new better so i cant talk much. I allways place them side ways in my tanks now about a inch from the bottom. Slowly converting over to all in lines thow

Some heaters are only rated to be submerged to a certain depth, so you might look into that.

I considered using inline heaters. Hydor is the only one that makes them though I think. Hydor theo submersible heaters are so bad I won't trust any Hydor heater on my tanks. Actually I put external temperature controllers on all of my tanks, because the internal thermostat is so unreliable on any brand.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I keep my heaters, filters, and powerheads all on a single power strip. This way when I'm doing a WC I just turn off that power strip and walk away for about half an hour. Then I go ahead and drain and refill with temp matched water. When it's all done just flip the switch and everything runs as normal.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
i forgot to unplug my heater once. sounded like a gunshot when it exploded
Lol, that would of scared the hell out of me...luckily I've never blown a heater up yet...I did however leave one plugged in when I did a 50% w/c once and I smelled the smoke and I immediately unplugged it and realized my mistake.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I can imagine it was pretty startling. We get very large capacitors at work that sometimes decide to burn and blow up. If you hear that loud pop from a few aisles over then you know that you'll be blanked in that lovely odor real shortly.

severumonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2011
Hershey, PA
i forgot to turn off a heater once. my tank was most certainly electrified. somehow i avoided damaging any fish, but did burn my hand when i frantically grabbed the heater and launched it across the room..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store