Turning a cesspool into a fish pond

PonDgUrU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
south texas
Looks great. Any reason why you didn't use the original pool drains and filter? The fencing around like that it would be the perfect structure for a shade cloth. Helps take the load off the filter.
The pool filter I had isn't very algae friendly,it's a DE filter and I didn't want to suck from the very bottom of the deepest end of the pool. There is always the risk of a leak when your not home and I did the math, those pumps drain that entire body of water in an hour and a half. That's why I raised the pumps those 2.5 feet so if any thing goes wrong I won't come home to an empty pond full of dead fish lol oh and there is a shade cloth at the moment but it's tattered, I just ordered one that has 10' of vinyl and 18' of 50% mesh to completely shade one portion and greatly reduce light transfer on the rest

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
yep...pool filter and drains would have to be modified. Only thing about raising the pump is mulm will collect at the bottom. May be you can connect a pump to the bottom drain to suck it out when needed.:)
Pools usually have a skimmer box as a safety to prevent draining of the pool. When the water level drops below the skimmer, the pump will suck air and cavitate, stopping the flow.
Another member in Texas did exactly what you're doing which turned out great. Check the outdoor pond forum. Unfortunately, he is on well water and the drought forced him to empty the pond :(. He even got a heater on it.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Nice job. I'd love to build an in-ground pool/pond.

PonDgUrU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
south texas
Waiting to see how low the temp goes without a heater before adding more fish it's down to like 68 degrees I'm moving the cats inside until spring

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store