Turtle in outdoor pond?

bikerider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
I have a 125 gallon preformed pond, 20 inches deep, that I just installed. I haven't added fish or plants or anything yet. The more I see of turtles the more I like the idea of having one, I am just not knowledgeable about them at all. Hence my post. I am wondering if my setup would/could work for a turtle to live in year around? I live in western Wa and our winters do get down to freezing but almost never lower than the teens. I have heard of a few different breeds like the red eared slider and reeves turtle. I think a smaller turtle would be better suited to the size of my pond. I could provide a basking area and a small fence/border around the pond if needed. I have also thought about stocking the pond with a couple native fish like a perch and a longear sunfish. I plan to add lots of plants to the pond as well like elodea and water hyacinth, lily pads, bamboo etc. So with that being said, what do you all think?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
If you are in Washington state I would probably just go w/ native fish like Sunfish, they can tolerate the cold - you can catch 'em through the ice actually. Maintaining a turtle is gonna piss you off and hurt your pockets in the long run and I just don't don't do turtles anymore. I gave my last 2 away in 2007 and said "Never again"

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

bikerider

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
I had a feeling the cost might get old after a while. I take it their maintenance is considerably more than fish yeah?

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
You would have to take in turtles like the red slider during the winter. In the nature they hibernate underwater but with a pond like that it wouldn't be deep enough for them to do so successfully

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store