Two Fluval FX6 in a 180 Gallon aquarium

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
So you prefer the eheim 2262 over the Fluval FX6? All I've ever had is a Fluval FX6. I have the top two trays loaded with matrix and the lower one loaded with purgin. It seems to be able to handle any amount of bio load I through at it. It's alot more expensive than the Fluval but I've found the Eheim to be a very good company. I've had one of their heaters for over a year and it hasn't crapped out on me yet. Every other brand I've used has gone bad before a year is up. So the eheim 2262 only has the one chainber? I could just load purgen or just matrix in it. Sounds like it would be good for polishing the water.
Interesting,

Glenn

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So you prefer the eheim 2262 over the Fluval FX6? All I've ever had is a Fluval FX6. I have the top two trays loaded with matrix and the lower one loaded with purgin. It seems to be able to handle any amount of bio load I through at it. It's alot more expensive than the Fluval but I've found the Eheim to be a very good company. I've had one of their heaters for over a year and it hasn't crapped out on me yet. Every other brand I've used has gone bad before a year is up. So the eheim 2262 only has the one chainber? I could just load purgen or just matrix in it. Sounds like it would be good for polishing the water.
Interesting,

Glenn
I dont wanna derail your thread with "this filter is better than that filter" but imo i prefer the eheim. It comes with a media bag so all the bio just gets lifted out when servicing. I cant stand all of the trays in the fx.

Fx isnt a bad filter at all but the 2262 moves more water and holds more bio. I have the spray bar on the left side of my tank it pushes the water accross the tank down the far wall and back across the bottom. All the debris settles right under the spray bar, wc are simple.

But it does cost more in start up $$$ you have to decide what works for you

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

digital808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
United States
This is a perfect post. I have the same question that i needed to be answered. I was thinking of running 2 FX6 in a 180 gallon tank. I already purchased 1, but was debating on purchasing another one. My original plan was 1 FX6 and 2 Aquaclear 110 (Which I already purchased but still able to return). My experience with Aquaclear filters for me is that it's easier to maintain Vs. opening up the canister to clean. My 180 will only be home to 1 arowana (maybe 2 at the most), so bio load will not be maxed out in this tank.. I do save $$$$ if I keep the 2 Aquaclear since it was purchased for roughly $65 each. What are your folks thoughts?

ksage15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
Ohio
I have a 180 gallon and originally ran just one FX6 on it and in my opinion it absolutely needed more filtration.. granted I did have some messy cichlids. I also was having problems with algae in my tank. After adding a second FX6 my tank stayed much clearer and I did not have nearly as many issues with algae.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I think anything over a 150g needs 2 canisters. I currently have a 125g and run a Fx-6 and two penguin 350s. I have the outlet from the Fx-6 on one side of the tank, the two penguins in the middle and a small power head on the other side. This creates good water distribution in the tank as I have no dead spots where anything accumulates. I think I would run the canister and the aquaclears, would give you good water movement if that what your looking for.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would def add 1 or 2 AC110 for there mech filtration. this will reduce the particulate load filtration on the canisters, and much easier to clean, if not put large sponges on the FX intakes. and clean every week. Canisters are a pain to clean. anything you can do to reduce sludge (particulate build up) in them is a good thing.

Reactions: digital808

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Use Rid-X septic tank bacteria, then you don't need the sponges on the inlets....there is a user called RD, who posted a thread about probiotics in fishtank, the thread is a great read, and there are many different ones that you can use...I found Rid-X the easiest to get hold of!

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
two FX6 will filter the tank fine, but one well thought out sump would do an even better job. FX6s aren't exactly a dream to clean out, not terrible, but not the easiest either. If your job is easier it will get done more often. Atleast that is the case with me.

Or you could meet in the middle and get a cheap sump and an FX6. Eshoppes do a good job for a good price and come with everything except the pump. I'm running a 180 like this now, but am in the process of upgrading the filtration to one large sump.

20150628_130305.jpg

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have piranha and 180g. I was running a fx5 on 75g befor upgrading to the 180. Got rid of it and am using 2 ac110s instead. Ultimately it was too much a pain to open and maintain. Decided to get HOB for easy maintenance and adding a jebao rw15 to help for flow in general. This is a new setup so I'll see how it goes. If i had the time I would have plumbed a sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store