Two-foot Koi in approx. 150-200 gallons. How do they do it?

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
IMO kois are meant to be put in a pond but if you have a large enough tank for them, go for it.

JAFRIAS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
sac.,CA.
their koi not great whites the parameters r good i do believe they should be in a appropriate filtered pond but today ....

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
LOL... this thread is 9 months old.

Some ponds on average are worse then a filtered tank... however Koi do put out a heavy bioload. I do have an 8 inch koi in a 55 gallon and I can say its a fight to keep it clean. When I got him(and another one) they were intended to be in 125... however because of moving the wife didn't allow the 125 to come to the new house.

I'm working on an 2600 pond for him.

mgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2010
nowhereville
not for life by any means, maybe in 1000 gallon tank.
(bigger then average in the picture. but its a example of how big they can get)

jr monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
Fox island wa
mgk;3860897; said:
not for life by any means, maybe in 1000 gallon tank.
(bigger then average in the picture. but its a example of how big they can get)
Bigger than average? That's the understatement of the century. I want it.

RandomWiktor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2010
USA
www.learninggonewild.com
Considering that with proper care, koi can and regularly do exceed 2ft and can reach well into 3ft in length, I think it is abhorrent to keep such an active, high-waste fish in small quarters like a tank under 300g. They are pond fish, pure and simple, if you intend on keeping them healthy and happy for the full duration of their lifespan and maximum potential of their size (unless you're one of the lucky few with a several thousand gallon tank). Part of ethical fishkeeping is providing for your fish's needs, not seeing how big of a fish you can cram into how small of a tank just for the sake of owning it.

I wouldn't even keep single-tail goldfish in a tank for any reason but growing out or overwintering; I had two foot-long common goldfish in a 75g, and not only was it a struggle to keep clean with great filtration, but every time they spooked, darted, tried to play, tried to jump, etc. they hurt themselves because the tank was simply too small for them to move about freely in. I now allot 100g per goldfish (I have three in a small pond, all males so that's it!) and they're extremely healthy, have great musculature, and have had very impressive growth rates.

Kolkri

Gambusia
MFK Member
Goldfish of any kind kepts in not enough water well live short painful lifes. No matter what people claim it just can not be done unless you are using a drip system where the water is never old and always fresh and then the koi would get so huge they would be cramped and unhappy.
Please anyone reading this don't think this is ok cause a few people make it seem ok. Cause it is not.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
mshill90 that is a nice indoor pond! and to mgk, how old do you think that koi is?

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
Danzig86;3900893; said:
nice thread, good question. I bought these two from a breeder today both 5'' but they're headed for a ghetto made pond soon enough........i believe one is a Hikari.
nice pickup... you got a platinum and gold koi. lol i bet Neo would want em haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store