Uncle Jims Worm Farm 360

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I purchased an uncle jims worm farm 360. i also got 1000 red wiggler worms just for kicks. My plan is to use this as a food supply for my BD pups until they are older to break to new foods. i tried starving my current female pup i got from vamp but after a week an no avail i was afraid she would die. her points were showing a bit. so i got her weight back up. I wanted to post this because i found this being the best investment ever. im not saying buy a premade one. you can make one yourself for like 50x cheaper but i was lazy. reason why i say its the best investment is because for a few reasons.
1. steady food supply
2. i control what the worms are eating. gut loading them with vegetables.
3. Worms build compost for my dad's garden. (i plan on using his garden too to try growing some easy vegetables for the spring and summers to come.
4. fertilizers for lawn. the liquid waste from the worms can be poured into a spray bottle and can be junctioned to a hose to use as a liquid spray for the lawn. and its a natural insectacide. perfect for my dog. gonna test out the liquid waste on the back yard with no chemical commecial fertilizers. while the front i will use the commercial fertilizers just to see if it helps in any way.
5. less garbage space used up since most of the vegetable scraps are gonna be eaten.
6. saves me money buying worms for my rays or for fishing.
7. fishing now cost sooo much less with the relatives.
8. true organic fertilizers, so no need to worry about chemicals in my vegetables and fruits.
9. my favorite reason - just for the experience! :)

I encourage everyone to try if they got the space!

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Do you have any pellet trained rays? They will teach your other pretty well. My smallest ray loves pellets so when I started starving the rest of them they became VERY curious like food aggressive to get it from him. I have one ray who won't eat pellets now. My pups from trev were starved for about 4 or 5 days before they really ate them with vigor. Do these set ups work outside during the winter?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
i do. but its not in the same tank. i have a motoro that eats pellets but its in a 180 by itself... my bd pup is in a 150 by itself. im still planning on the 545 plywood tank. just need to save some money to buy the tools :) i wanted a table saw anyways.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Awsome!! I was also considering this. So many ways to use worms and IMO a pellets will not compare to a Organic Worm

Any pics of the kit?

Reactions: viper0397

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
They are really cool. I've seen one in action. In a guy's basement. I didn't get one because I didn't want it in my house I may set one up in my yard in the spring

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Been culturing red wigglers (in a bin in my garage) for years. Not stinky or objectionable in any way (my wife would complain).

Haven't bought live or frozen food for years and feeding red wigglers in place of pellets or flake (a couple of times per week) cuts down on my budget for NLS, etc. Also don't keep anything in the fridge or freezer.

I keep primarily cichlids and haven't found any that don't like them.

Matt

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Put it in your garage! it says they can keep from 40-90 degrees. a garage will keep them in just the right range. and i feel its much more worth than frozen seafoods. though variety will still be my choice.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I think I am going to give this a try myself. I see Uncle Jim's is having a sale on 1000 count right now. That ought to last me a couple days. I am going to keep mine in my basement though. That is where my stingrays are anyway!

Reactions: Kolossus

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Reproduction slows down considerably at low temps. I live in Maryland and just so they don't freeze, they're fine. They reproduce (and eat) like gangbusters in the summer.

The other limiting factor is surface area. I've seen people try to culture them in a showbox or bucket, which just isn't enough space (I use a Rubbermaid bin...I think 22g).

We just dump our veggie and fruit waste into the bin (vs. trash) - orange peels, apple cores, banana peels, rotten lettuce, whatever. Takes longer for them to go through it in the winter...

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store