Unlevel water/floor

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Just finish setting up a 120gal tank I got off Craigslist very nice tank. However after filling it up I noticed the water level from one side to the other is off about 1inch. I checked the tank and the stand both are off level, but then I checked the floor and the floor itself is off level (big legal issue with the city so I know the floor is off level). My question is, is their much I need to worry about considering the floor itself is offlevel? And if I level it will I have to worry about the gap on the bottom of the stand? And with this all being said I also have a 55gal with the same problem. I guess I'm just not sure how big of a problem this is, should I shut it all down immediately and fix it or should it be good to go?

IMG_20151122_184258501_HDR.jpg

1448246628404-1108087572.jpg

14482467909031688797282.jpg

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Just finish setting up a 120gal tank I got off Craigslist very nice tank. However after filling it up I noticed the water level from one side to the other is off about 1inch. I checked the tank and the stand both are off level, but then I checked the floor and the floor itself is off level (big legal issue with the city so I know the floor is off level). My question is, is their much I need to worry about considering the floor itself is offlevel? And if I level it will I have to worry about the gap on the bottom of the stand? And with this all being said I also have a 55gal with the same problem. I guess I'm just not sure how big of a problem this is, should I shut it all down immediately and fix it or should it be good to go?

View attachment 1151052

View attachment 1151053

View attachment 1151054
You will always notice a tank that unlevel and it will always nag you in the back of your head.
I would shim the stand level and shim the gaps as well.

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
So does that mean its technically fine as is and can wait until a water change to fix it or should I immediately tear it down?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
So does that mean its technically fine as is and can wait until a water change to fix it or should I immediately tear it down?
Technically. ...probably.
if you are comfortable with it....leave it til then....it your mess to clean....sorry..just being truthful.
In my opinion, I would leave it alone until I could deal with it properly. At 1000lbs of water alone, it would be in your best intrest and peace of mind to deal with it asap. Use proper shims...not the wood shims used in framing, the plastic ones...and get/borrow a longer level....

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've always corrected unleveled aquariums asap for a piece of mind, just shim up stand like was suggested.

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Ok that's what I thought, thanks guys. I'll be sure to get to it in the morning.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; It seems from the photos that the stand is a wooden one. I agree with the others and do try to level my tanks. With a wood stand it may be best to place a number of shims for the wood to carry the load. I have not tried them myself but have read posts of members suggesting the use of composite shims.

Good luck

Reactions: boldtogether

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You are off by over 4% (1 inch) which I consider a pretty drastic amount. In a lot of posts, people are looking at 1/4".

If it were me, I'd fix it now, but if I had to wait (due to work or the holidays or not having a person to help), I'd remove a good 25%-35% of the water to really reduce the stress on the tank.

Reactions: millerkid519

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Ya I got 4 buddies to help empty move and reset up the tank later today after I sell this car

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Thats a pain to deal with. It would bother me too. I would get some strong and thick foam and put it over the stand and under the tank so it will distribute the weight properly. I never used this method but seen it used first hand and it works.

Also what people suggested shims under the tank.

Good luck with the tank and your car!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store