Update and new problem with clown loaches

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Hi so ive posted before about my loaches having ick and popeye.
The popeye has gotten better, eyes are still cloudy and crusty though. The ick is still the same, its been about 11 days now. My Loaches now look bloated and look fat in general. The loaches haven't eaten for over 2 weeks, so not bloated from overfeeding. Water P's 0-0-30, ph 8, temp 84. Is the bloat something i should be treating? My loaches for weeks haven't looked good at all. They lay on there sides and breath really heavy, no interest in food, and im starting to get concerned about them.
I was treating with heat, salt, paragurad, and triple sulfa for about 5 days. A member on here pointed out i was treating with to much and was not good to use meds at high temps. I treated with just heat and salt after those 5 days and doing a 25% daily WC. Here are some pics. Let me know if you need anymore info! Thanks so much
20160212_110454.jpg 20160212_110500.jpg 20160212_110537.jpg

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
i've always had 100% success rate with treating ich on clown loach with salt, high temp and daily 50% water change. How much salt are you adding ?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
i've always had 100% success rate with treating ich on clown loach with salt, high temp and daily 50% water change. How much salt are you adding ?
yeah im sure the ick will start to get better soon, im more worried about them not eating for so long and now being bloated. Im adding 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons. Thanks!

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
yeah im sure the ick will start to get better soon, im more worried about them not eating for so long and now being bloated. Im adding 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons. Thanks!
trying increasing the salt to 2 tablespoon per 5 gallons. I've done that in the past and the clowns were fine with it. The bloated doesn't look too bad, i have some clown that are like that all the time probably because they are over weight. Fishes could go without for a long time.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yeah the pictures dont show how bad the bloat is, the picture does look like they just have big bellys. One of them sadly died an hr ago. The rest dont look good they just lay on there side breathing really heavy. I felt like I needed to do something, I did some reading and found a post about doing a bath. So I just did that. I used double dose of methylene Blue and double dose of seachem kanaplex. I also used 1/8 tsp. Epsom salt and 1 tsp. aquarium salts, the bath was in 2.5 gallons for 30 min. I just put them back in the QT and they have much more life in them than they've had for week! I did a 30% WC while they were in the bath. I plan to do the bath everyday, I read I could do it twice a day would that be overkill?

Also my water parameters I posted earlier where wrong, I was testing with those strips and they looked fine, I did test the water with a liquid kit and it showed .25 ammoina and .5 Nitrite. I used a seasoned filter to get the QT going. So im sure adding 5 loaches and previously using meds killed of my bacteria. I added some prime and also added some bacteria in a bottle. I know trying to treat and cure fish in bad water is catch 22. Am I doing all I can to ensure the water is as good as possible? Im also doing and will do a 25-30% WC everyday.

Thanks for the help!

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I had ick on my loaches a few days ago.
Raise the temperature on 32 degrees min. and at salt 2-3g per Liter.
You also have to ad a good areation !
Of course you need very clean water.
After a week my problem was gone
When you have to low temperatures and not enough salt it doesnt do anything.
I would also check if anything stress the loaches.
When they have stress they get sick.
Tankmates, hiding places, water quallity .
When anything doesnt fit you will always have problems with them.

Regards Malte

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store