URGENT!!! 12" OSCAR IS SICK!!!! HELP!!!!

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I was feeding my 3 12" oscars and one had a gash in it's side so i caught it and took pictures and could not figure out what it is. The oscars tank mates are a 26" adonis pleco (added 2 days ago) a 26" red tail catfish, a 20" ripsaw catfish, 3 adult servums, 2 nicoruguran cichlids, and other large oscars. This oscar looked gravid and i was going to put it into it's own tank (if i can get one empty) to try to breed them. Recently i started to feed the oscars crayfish every 4th day and they eat cichlid gold every day. The skin has ripped and is only on one side of the fish. If this is contagious i will have to put the fish into a large gallon rubbermaid tub to treat (4 feet by 3 feet, and 1.5 feet tall), would prefer i will put meds to help it heal into the main tank so i don't have a bucket on the ground. Any guesses or suggestions are appreciated because if i might be able to save this fish with meds or salt , i will try. Thank you.
FIRST1795.jpgSECOND.JPGTHIRD.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
good clean water and he will heal fast, can treat the water with some medifix and pimefix, but best thing is just keep the water pristine. looks like typical clumsy Oscar boo boo to me.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thank you, i will do a water change tomorrow (last water change was 2 days ago when i got the adonis pleco). Also, would the medications possibly hurt the adonis pleco ar the ripsaw?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
medifix or pimifex will not, they are just an inhibitor,

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Turns out it was the adonis pleco! :(
I got the adonis pleco out of the tank and into "solitary confinement" in a 50 gallon. I am treating with prazipro, melafix, primafis, formaldehyde based solutions, methelene blue, malachite green, etc,.
Tomarrow if it dies i will be doing a complete water change and moving on, if not it will be changed and the oscar will get a hospital tank.
(it is like this on both sides)IMG_2189.jpg

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
If you dose with all the meds you have listed you will certainly kill your Oscar, not from gash that would of healed on its own but from the medications themselves. More fish are killed by medications than cured, mainly by improper use. Sorry if I sound harsh but please research any medication before using.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
adonis are known to be really mean. Is the oscar still alive? Wallua Boy has a very strong point. Also some food for thought when you through that many medications into a tank you are only breeding for some resistance in the fish that do survive

Reactions: convict360

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Yes, this is what i do to treat hex and i lost one out of 50 African cichlids but to treat like this i have to remove the hours medications after treatment to not kill the fish. I am changing the water right now because i found a dead fish in the tank while i caught the adonis pleco and moved it (the dead fish was a half eaten large feeder convict). I know it seems bad but I found mixing meds to work very well in short term doses. The oscar is in a hospital rubbermaid tank on the ground with 3 filters and a peice of driftwood to hold him upright. The other fish in the main tank are doing fine.
I know you are not being mean because you spent time to give a suggestion.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
So, let me get this straight. Your mixing MG, MB, PraziPro, Melafix, Pimafix and formalin into a cocktail to treat Hex. If so, were did you get the idea to mix such a combination?

Why not use a proven med like Metronidazole, its a whole lot more effective and cheaper?

I'm really not trying to call you out but wanting to clarify for other readers and trying get the best treatment available for your current fish and in the future, no offense intended.

Reactions: convict360

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Yes, im 12 so i have a few dosen meds, and i can barely afford to buy more so i look at the ingredients and find a few may would work together to treat a fish. I test them on a convict, and if that convict lives I write the combination down and use it to treat fish. I know it sounds dumb, but i am not going to buy meds for 30 dollars for for a fish i can get for 10 dollars at a auction.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store