UV Sterilizer question !!!

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Is it necessary? is it better to have one than not to? Would it hurt having one in tank or really they make no difference? I found a nice price on a 35 Watt in-tank UV sterilizer and wondering If I should even bother.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
^^^It's always better than none :) and the bonus is your tank will probably free parasites and the most common one is ICK hehehe

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Only concern is that ive heard it also kills beneficial bacteria in the tank, is it true?
It's true.
UV will kill both good and bad Bacteria but it won't effect an *Established Tank*...so if you just setup a new tank then don't use UV for few months.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
UV is certainly effective. Thing is, it has to be powerful light, and slow enough water flow--it has to be sized correctly for the flow rate of your pumps--and that gets pricey.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Well the UV unit its the Deep Blue 35 Watt In tank unit, friend bought it 2 weeks ago then decided not to install it. At $ 75 , I might as well buy it and slap it inside the tank.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
UV will not hurt your BB, as it resides on the surface area in your tank and not in the water column. An exception would be if you dose a "bacteria-in-a-bottle" product. UV's are great. In reef tanks they are very common because the chemicals that kill marine ich will also kill corals.

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't buy an in-tank sterilizer.

Kendragon, the guru of UV sterilizers once told me that in-tank sterilizers would most likely overheat your water and you'd risk frying your fish if water gets into the electrical. Plus, it takes up valuable tank space.

I ended up getting an Aquaultraviolet...the one that hangs outside of the tank.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Strong Uv can overheat water wery fast. Buy external version. With check valve you can always control flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store