UV sterilizer?

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
I can get two brand new aquatop 36 watts for around $30 ea. I know this is a good price on them but would it be worth it to run them on two of my 55 gallon tanks. There are flowerhorn in both of them right now. Advantageous or waste of time/money? In other words would it be a big benefit for the fish?

Thanks
Brian

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
There good to help keep your tank looking a little clearer, so if you've got cloudy water or excess algea theyll help. Also they help keep your fish healthier.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Based upon what I've read, that seems like an extreme amount of UV sterilization for a 55. However....if you would run them just a third of the time with a 250 gallon turnover that would be sensible imo.

Running it slower is overkill unless you have nasty parasites that can get exposed, and running it more often at a higher speed is a waste of money, imo.

10 watts run at 170 gph continuously would in theory wipe out most things in a 55 gallon tank (algae, bacteria, some parasites) you'd want to kill, so this is in theory a waste if it's run continuously. Every 3rd day for example should suppress or eradicate most of the things that would go through a UV filter.

You could probably get a timer to run them every third day, or 6- 8 hours every night. If this is just for algae and tank clarity, and assuming these are absolute steals, I'd consider buying them only if I had bigger tanks in my future.

Last edited:

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
Thanks. Was thinking same thing on putting them on timers. They are normally $150 from prices I've seen online so they do seem like a steal. I don't really have much problems with algae in these tanks and would have to hook up canisters or pumps to use them. As of now not really planning on any bigger tanks. I could probably justify using them if they would provide a great improvement in water quality. Still not sure if it would be worth it for me.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will try one and see how it goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store