Vampire pleco trouble.

Kg l240

Feeder Fish
Aug 16, 2015
I have a 125 gallon tank with three L240 vampire plecos , 2 males and 1 female and about 12 other community fish. My plecos are all about 6" long and eating fine. I did a water change a week ago and one today and from last week my females belly has gotten fairly large. Could she be holding eggs or should i be worried about an illness. I am currently looking on line about illnesses but would appreciate any feedback of what i should do next.

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
I have a 125 gallon tank with three L240 vampire plecos , 2 males and 1 female and about 12 other community fish. My plecos are all about 6" long and eating fine. I did a water change a week ago and one today and from last week my females belly has gotten fairly large. Could she be holding eggs or should i be worried about an illness. I am currently looking on line about illnesses but would appreciate any feedback of what i should do next.
It might have eggs? If it's swimming and eating fine, and it's colors are normal. Then it's probably ready to lay eggs... I would get a pleco cave, because the female will probably lay her eggs in it and the males will probably race to the eggs to spawn. After that I think the female guards the eggs in the cave.

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
It might have eggs? If it's swimming and eating fine, and it's colors are normal. Then it's probably ready to lay eggs... I would get a pleco cave, because the female will probably lay her eggs in it and the males will probably race to the eggs to spawn. After that I think the female guards the eggs in the cave.
Or your pleco could just be stuffed with food?

Kg l240

Feeder Fish
Aug 16, 2015
Or your pleco could just be stuffed with food?
I have three caves which she has no interest in. I isolated her for over a week and didn't feed her and belly stayed the same. Since then I have put her back in main tank and she seems to be doing fine. Only time will tell. Thanks for feedback.

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
I have three caves which she has no interest in. I isolated her for over a week and didn't feed her and belly stayed the same. Since then I have put her back in main tank and she seems to be doing fine. Only time will tell. Thanks for feedback.
No problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store