Velvet belly lanternsharks

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Is it legal?
My research and asking around suggests it is. Very few fish species are illegal to hunt/collect. Sturgeons and basking sharks are two major ones.

That's a great question to ask. If they're bycatch, I don't think they would care too much but you never know. LadAShark - I would definitely make a call or two and figure out that answer
I have checked it out. There are barely any laws restricting much of anything, none of which apply to any of the species I am concerned with. From what I know about Turkey, however, even those laws are rarely regulated, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Keep in well oxygenated water, keep dark , red lights will probably work, also don't feed often

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Any progress?
Put off working in Turkey for a year. Progress towards goal will be halted. I will continue to look into getting access to deepwater sharks elsewhere, or getting some velvet bellies/angular roughsharks sent to me, but for now it seems I will be putting off such experimentation.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Put off working in Turkey for a year. Progress towards goal will be halted. I will continue to look into getting access to deepwater sharks elsewhere, or getting some velvet bellies/angular roughsharks sent to me, but for now it seems I will be putting off such experimentation.
I don't think you'll be able to get such a shark in the states.... at least alive

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I don't think you'll be able to get such a shark in the states.... at least alive
Well, there is a species of lantern shark that lives in the oregon coast, but you're right, I probably won't be able to get such a shark in the states. I am still going back and forth with the medical school there. It'll all be decided in a few days, and I'll just give up on keeping deepwater sharks for the most part if I stay here.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Well, there is a species of lantern shark that lives in the oregon coast, but you're right, I probably won't be able to get such a shark in the states. I am still going back and forth with the medical school there. It'll all be decided in a few days, and I'll just give up on keeping deepwater sharks for the most part if I stay here.
The US is going to be way stricter about that type of stuff than Turkey

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
The US is going to be way stricter about that type of stuff than Turkey
You'd be surprised to hear that there actually isn't any regulation involving these sharks here either. I made a mistake btw, there aren't lantern sharks on the oregon coast, but similar deepwater catsharks.

I'm thinking I will give up on collecting for now, however. What is different between here and there is that fishermen in Turkey would be more willing to lend a hand than fishermen (commercial, of course) here.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store