Very Low Tech Planted Aquarium?

Grandcandy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2012
Western Kentucky
Hey guys! I'm currently in the process of setting up a 30 gallon aquarium. Not totally sure what the stock is going to consist of yet.. possibly some rainbows and corys? I am quite new to the planted tank, having EXTREMELY limited experience with them. I like the idea of plants in the 30, however, my entire purpose of this build was to be something fairly simple and fairly cheap to set up, as I had received the 30 from a friend. I have around an inch of Stoney River sand in the bottom, and a filter rated for a 75 gallon aquarium. I have to get a new light system, preferably an LED with moonlight features. No crazy expensive systems. My question is, what sort of plants can I keep under these conditions? I am aware of the simple java ferns and mosses. I am content with those options if they are what I am limited to. Any other ideas or suggestions? :D

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Anubias, cryptocorynes, anacharis, hornwort, vallisneria... Just to name a few.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
And all of these options would be viable in a lower light aquarium with an inch or two of sand at the bottom?
Crypts being heavy root feeders may need some fert tabs beneth their roots to help them get going, but otherwise im guessing ahould work in sand...

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
And all of these options would be viable in a lower light aquarium with an inch or two of sand at the bottom?
Will work fine. If you want to fertilize get yourself some Osmocote plus and make root tabs with gel capsules. The crypts and vallisneria, once they adapt they will take off. Anacharis/elodea and hornwort grow like weeds. Anubias is the only one I find that can be slow growing, but very hardy and rewarding when years later it has creeped all over your driftwood and tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store