very plant uneducated and full of questions

scraps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Arkansas
I'll try to keep this short:
I've had aquatic plants before, and actually had much better luck with them over my house plants (i completely lack the gift of the green thumb)
I've had great luck with java fern, anubias and java moss with my peacock cichlid set up but eventually gave up as my java moss completely took over, and started invading my filters.
I'm wanting to start my aquarium over, this time I would like to avoid java moss. I'm wanting a pair of blue acara and a sail fin catfish, and I'm wondering what kind of plants would be good with these fish.
I'm assuming the java fern and anubias are still good options.
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

scraps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Arkansas
Oh, if you need to know, I have a 55 gal aquarium running two whisper filters, each for 60 gal. A sponge filter, heater, and as for lights, I have no clue but my house plants thrived under the tank before I added substrait and blocked the light.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The most important thing to know is lighting when asking what will work...

Is it a T8 / T5 / T5-HO / Metal Halide / Flood Lights???

Also what substrate are you using if any aso makes a difference...

Reactions: convict360

scraps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Arkansas
The most important thing to know is lighting when asking what will work...

Is it a T8 / T5 / T5-HO / Metal Halide / Flood Lights???

Also what substrate are you using if any aso makes a difference...
As of right now, the substrait is crushed coral, but I'm going to replace this with sand before getting anything alive.
I really have no idea what kind of lights it has. I got the entire set up used (excluding filters) when I was in high school (some time before 2005) and have never had to change the bulbs so something flouresent I would assume...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Your lighting will dictate how well your plants do, if high; they will suffer competition from algae, which will do well in absence of co2 and ferts.

If the lights are low, you'd do well with the plants you mentioned :)

If you can find out the wattage of the light that would help

Reactions: scraps

Preacher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
You need to make sure your substrate has plenty of nutritions in it. With your sand mix or go all out with Eco complete or Flourite. Also you might look at a co2 system or use flourish excel. Lighting we'll play a major part for your plant selection you need to keep it in the 5600 to 6700k range also.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Maybe take a photo of the lights themselves, including what the bulb inside looks like and we can try and work out if its T8, T5 or T5HO...

But yeah, i mean sand will work for certain plants, but you will be very limited to what you can choose, and as mentioned, if your lights are too strong, or on for too long, you may have to deal with algae as well...

scraps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Arkansas
Sorry if the pic is poor quality, all I have is the camera on my phone :/

But here is the logo, it's a bit smeared but I managed to make out "aqua rays fresh & saltwater 18 w (might be 15 w) Hungary"

20160505_121348.jpg

scraps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
Arkansas
Maybe take a photo of the lights themselves, including what the bulb inside looks like and we can try and work out if its T8, T5 or T5HO...

But yeah, i mean sand will work for certain plants, but you will be very limited to what you can choose, and as mentioned, if your lights are too strong, or on for too long, you may have to deal with algae as well...
I did have an algea issue, despite my weekly cleanings. I had to wash algea off of my plants every few weeks. So long as I kept them clean they did wonderful, but really that's what made me give up on them in the end besides java moss clogged filters. I'm okay with getting new lights if I need to though. It'll just mean I need to prolong the restart of my tank a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store