Very unlevel 125 gal.

Derikbigcat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2016
Hi everyone I am new to the mfk. Recently bought a 125 gal. ( 6 foot long) then noticed how unlevel it was, slopes 2 inches from left to right and that seems like a lot compared to all the posts I read about leveling aquariums. Any advice on the best way in leveling it would be appreciated. The stand doesn't have legs it's the fully eclosed with cabinet style

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Is the stand a home made one or does it look like an aquarium manufactured stand?

Are you setting this up on carpet or hard flooring?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I used composite shims to level them off.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Then move the tank. I wouldnt be comfortable with an unlevel tank. Fish in the tank yet ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The tank is flush against the wall ? Even if there are a couple of inches you could cut the shims down and just double or tripple them up to get the desired height

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
manufactured stand and on carpet
Hello; First comment is about the carpet. Having had the experience I can say an aquarium on carpet is likely to end with serious problems. So much so I went to the trouble to take up the carpet in a room and replaced it with more suitable flooring.

I thought about that but I can't really get to the back side since its against the wall
Hello; Am I correct in thinking you hope to level a large tank while it is full of water? This is not a good plan at all. I strongly suggest that the tank be empty of water and substrate when being shimmed to level.

Lastly, I like to have my tanks be as level as I can get them. Not so much of an issue with the smaller tanks, but more so with the large tanks such as yours. Side to side out of level and front to back out of level being a concern, but corner to corner out of level being a much greater concern.

good luck

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I thought about that but I can't really get to the back side since its against the wall
Maybe I'm dense. (Trust me, a lot of people don't think it's a "maybe"...) But, I can't tell from the thread what is not level. Is it the floor, the carpet, the stand or the tank? The solution depends on which one is causing the problem.

I've placed large tanks on carpet (everything from a 55 and 75 to a 180) without a problem. As long as the floor is strong enough and you protect the carpet it's fine.

However, I agree with everyone that filling and using a tank that is off by so much is courting disaster. There is really no option in my mind to using that until the problem is properly resolved. And yes, no water should be in the tank (and preferably no substrate) until it's all fixed.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Derik, the stand may be resting on the carpet tack strip. Try moving it out from the wall at least a few inches to see if that fixes the problem. Hopefully there is no water in the tank when you move it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store