Vieja ?

Dilema

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2011
Everywhere & Nowere

I have been looking at a few Vieja (Mainly the Breidohri and the Synspilum) I know nothing about them other than they look stunning ! How do they do in a community, do thye do better with other Vieja, or is there anything specifically that cohabits well with them ?

Any info would be nice.

Cheers

Madness

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Puyallup, WA
I have mine in a Vieja/Paratheraps tank. There is a lot of activity in there, put not much aggression. I also have a Synspilum and a Heterospila in my 300 show with a few Amphilophus, Loisellei, Pikes, Grammode, and Kraussi. All is well. They know that they are not top dogs (or top fish :) ) and they just coexist and enjoy.

BlueKiller82

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Massachusetts
I believe they get very big, in the 15" range and may require a tank bigger than a 75 gallon. Very nice fish, I had one in a 180 for a while with some oscars and they all got along fine. Ended up selling the tank well before he was fully mature.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
heterospilla can be kept in a55 or bigger ,thy arent too aggressive but in a 4ft. tank might not like other cichlids.by the way they are very colorful and owner responsive. in other words good wet pet.

cebosound

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
CENTRAL CALI COAST
I currently have a community of Vieja.
2 gullatus
2 regani
2 synups
2 pearsei (i know not veija). .... but it was recommended to get these bigger than the vieja to keep everyone in line. and working so far. ;)

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
i have synspilums growing out,hope they will form a group,i don't know which members have this,but have heard/seen it can work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store