Vintage Red Wings

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
This brand boot was the in thing here a while back, i thought they were cool and looked into getting a pair and saw the price was close to $1000 AUD for the style i liked, no matter how good they are i really cant justify dropping a grand on a pair of boots.

• Wow
Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ouch. There are ways to get around some of those steep retail prices. My initial post touches on one way to do that. This gent offers a few more $$$ saving tips.

(1) 5 Ways to Save Money on Boots - YouTube

Both of my Heritage pairs of boots were discontinued colors, or specific leather type, and were reduced by 30+% at the local retail outlet, prior to new stock arriving.

FYI - Red Wing factory seconds typically have a hole punched in the tongue of the boot, or at least they used to.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This brand boot was the in thing here a while back, i thought they were cool and looked into getting a pair and saw the price was close to $1000 AUD for the style i liked, no matter how good they are i really cant justify dropping a grand on a pair of boots.
Lol, here we have an Aussie looking at buying a pair of American-made Red Wing boots, imported into his country from half-way around the world...while at the same time I'm a Canuck who is considering the purchase of a pair of Blundstones, made in Oz and then shipped the rest of the way back around the globe to me. I guess the grass really is always greener...:)

The Blundstones are getting very enthusiastic thumbs-up from a couple buddies here who recently got a pair, but they've only had them for a few months.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Ouch. There are ways to get around some of those steep retail prices. My initial post touches on one way to do that. This gent offers a few more $$$ saving tips.

(1) 5 Ways to Save Money on Boots - YouTube

Both of my Heritage pairs of boots were discontinued colors, or specific leather type, and were reduced by 30+% at the local retail outlet, prior to new stock arriving.

FYI - Red Wing factory seconds typically have a hole punched in the tongue of the boot, or at least they used to.
They were just some trend i got caught up in a few years ago, prices are around $600 AUD now. I doubt any factory seconds would have made there way down here.
Its coming into what is predicted to be a very hot summer now so i probably wont need any heavy leather boots until May 2024 anyway.

Lol, here we have an Aussie looking at buying a pair of American-made Red Wing boots, imported into his country from half-way around the world...while at the same time I'm a Canuck who is considering the purchase of a pair of Blundstones, made in Oz and then shipped the rest of the way back around the globe to me. I guess the grass really is always greener...:)

The Blundstones are getting very enthusiastic thumbs-up from a couple buddies here who recently got a pair, but they've only had them for a few months.
I had Blundstones as a company issue steel toe cap boot years ago when i was still working on building site, honestly i cant remeber anything about them good or bad. The non steel cap version is pretty popular as an everyday boot here, they look a bit too farm boy for me as i prefer a lace up type, especially if i am wearing them casually.
Another big boot brand here is R.M Williams, they are considered the classier version of a blundstone. They are very expensive in the same elastic side style as a blundstone but better leather and more refined looking. They are formed from 1 piece of leather so nice and smooth with no seams if thats your thing.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I had Blundstones as a company issue steel toe cap boot years ago when i was still working on building site, honestly i cant remeber anything about them good or bad.
To me, that's likely a good thing. IMHO, footware shouldn't intrude upon your consciousness at all; comfortable boots aren't likely to make you stop and note how comfortable they are...but uncomfortable ones sure will!

Longevity is an area that one is likely to notice a bit more, if it happens to be very good or very bad...although that's likely not as noticeable when the company provides you with boots rather than making you buy your own. I seem to be very hard on footwear; maybe having completely flat size 13 flippers with absolutely no trace of an arch has something to do with that? I place a definite premium on long-lasting durable construction.

I gotta say, I kinda like the "un-refined" clodhopper look of the Blundstones...especially the steel-toe model with the enlarged rubber bumpers at toe and heel.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The company I work for supply our work boots. We go and get them from our choice of supplier, and simply hand the receipt in at the office, and they'll give you the cash for them.

How fiendish would it for me to order a pair of Canada's finest, and see the ashen look of horror on the secretaries face when I hand the receipt over, lol.

Mind you, she's an old bird, I don't really want to risk it should she keel over!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I almost contributed to this derailment in the other thread but oddly showed some polite restraint.

Theres a work boot, and then theres your work boots. I would love a nice pair of russells to stomp around my garden in, but would not dare step onto the railroad with them.

Though i like the redwings they are simply cost ineffective in my line of work. And yes, i have tried them and many other brands to compare. A pair of redwings will last me nearly a year on the railroad if i properly maintain them with oil and wax. A pair of timberland pros or carolinas will get me about 6-8 months at less than half the price. Most other brands ive tried; keen, justin, cat, avenger...are simply dog poop in terms of durability--3-4 months.

One gripe i have about the redwings is their weight...heavy friggin boots to work with all day. But hey thats what all that thick leather and heavy duty hardware gets ya.

I actually tried a pair of "hytest" boots this past summer that really impressed me with their light weight and breathability. Great summer boots...but the heel blew out after 5 months.

The herman survivors are the only budget boot Ive found that are even acceptable to put on human feet and will last through a rainstorm.

Danners are fantastic, i would prefer a pair of their high end line of USA made boots (those kangaroo leather ones if they still make them) to any pair of redwings. But yes, they seem to have dropped a line of consumer-friendly boots these last few years that are cheaper but seem poor quality, imported, and ugly to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store