Voltage the cause of my ray not eating?

Davenburger

Feeder Fish
Aug 30, 2015
Hi There.
She is a 19" ray in a 35" x 69" tank that is 19" deep. Glass bottom, 50% water change weekly, We have an additional 10"side sump and three large canister filters, the newest is the fluval FX6. We have had her for around 5 months.
I am at wits end as she will just not eat. Massivore, shrimp, mussle meat, calimari, fillet have all been gobbled up in the past. It has been a problem now going into THE FOURTH WEEK. I place the food under her disc with an extended arm now.
I have sole the male that was with her and he was fine. She shares the tank with an 11" barrimundi alone and he is a pig.
8 weeks ago she caught and injured one of the 6 silver dollars that was with her but they are all gone.
I have noticed that now my focus has been towards tingling leakage voltages in the water when my finger tips go into the tank, but only where my finger was cut. I am down under in Australia and we use a deadly 240vac which has leakage protection. I have measured the tank water to ground at 80VAC which comes from all the pumps combined. Disconnecting each pump one at a time drops only a small voltage from the tank. As I am now clutching at straws, is it common for filter pumps to leak voltages into the tank and could this upset a previously healthy ray, stopping her from eating.
Am i on to something?
Thanks in advance

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Pick up a stray voltage ground?

http://www.amazon.com/RV2735-Rid-Vo...pebp=1440998233481&perid=0D45C32HF85XVWZHB692

Seems like it should solve your problem, kind of...
Its faulty equipment. Stray voltage grounds are more of a back up, it'll absorb the the stray voltage if equipment is faulty. So I would find out what is causing the stray voltage. A cheap voltage reader from walmart or a home improvement store will do the trick. Dip both pins in and unplug your equipment one by one to find the culprit.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Add a grounding probe, but make sure to run everything upstream into a GFCI receptacle or power bar. Then run one appliance at a high time until it trips the GFCI breaker in the receptacle. Then you will have found your problem. Stray voltage may or may not be affecting your ray, but either way you should find the problem equipment and remove it.

Davenburger

Feeder Fish
Aug 30, 2015
Found this shattered heater causing the main problem. Being contained in a thermal cover, The damage could not be seen without removal. There are still stray lower voltages, but when earthed temporarily for a test, they zeroed immediately. I'll connect up the earthing strap tomorrow.
I still could not interest the ray with food today. She is getting so thin Looking terrible. The other ray in the other tank eats everything this big girl turns her nose at.

11944942_10207706180678400_1371080820_n (1).jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store