Water Change

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I keep flowerhorns they're messy eaters but my water quality has never been bad. Might want to consider over filtering your tank. I do water changes by taking out the water and adding prime before I fill up that's it. Doesn't get too cloudy but the next morning it's crystal clear again.

What's your tank size and filter on it? I feed 4 red Texas two Flowerhorn loaches and vieja maybe 50-60 pellets everyday. Never an issue with water chemistry or cloudiness.

I'm on a sump and have polyfil and bio balls and pot scrubbers.
My water never gets cloudy during water changes. It only clouds up when I clean the glass (How does fish crap even get stuck there?) or when I need to clean the filter. Even then, it's not very cloudy. I'm just so used to crystal clear water I call anything worse than that cloudy.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I change water every weekend. More than 50%, probably 75% or 80%. I use "pond prime", I just pour it in the tank before I turn on the hose to refill it.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Im sorry i cant till i hit 5 posts and im in the lfs right now, debating wether to get a fire eel and a small tank or the fire eel and a large tank. Thank you for the response though very helpful
Save the money and buy the large tank. If you buy a small one you'll have to upgrade eventually, so you spend more money in the end.

Reactions: tlindsey

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
9 (Active) Tanks / 3 empty

75 (Upstairs Display) - 10 inch RD Male and 6inch Midas Female + 1 week old fry- Water change 2x30% weekly, will go back to 1x50% weekly after fry get larger/seperated

37 Bowfront (Upstairs WIFES Display) - 20-50 Brichardi 4 month old fry + 1-mom (dad died :() - 50% week lately, was 10% weekly when fry were very small

55 (Basement)- 8inch FH and 8 inch Bleekeri (divider) large spot -50% each weekly

55 (Basement)- 5 inch Trimac & 2- 3 inch fire-mouths (divider) - 50% weekly

65 Tall (Basement) - 6 inch RD & 5 inch Salvini (divider) - 50% weekly

40 BR(Basement) - Constantly Breeding Geophagus Brasileanis pair - 50% weekly, except when new fry which I have to remove as they always eat them

20L (Basement)- Single Hybrid Convict Veiltail - 50% weekly

20L(Basement)- 2 Other female Brasileanis + 6 additional sponge filters I keep cycled for emergencies- 50$ weekly

3 Gallon full of 50-100 Geophagus Brasileanis fry - 48oz(3 plastic solo cups) a day WC

2 additional 40BR empty (Basement), likely to be reef only(softies) if i ever get the time.

1 Empty NEW 29 - new and empty, just chillin on the floor doing nothing, supposed to be hospital tank, too lazy to set up. Luckily my fish d'ont get sick often

Currently (wishful) plans: wanting to do a 300 in basement to consolidate the 2-55's, 65, and 2-20L inhabitants.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
test your water, your nitrate creep tells you when and how much water you need to change, once you know what your nitrate creep is for what ever tank testing can be less often. once a month or so, I prefer to stay ahead and do 90% or fin level every week, with a good vacuum. and every month or so double that up to knock down accumulative and bring back down to base levels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store