Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Hi. I set up a new 180g tank over the weekend. The setup is as follows:
2 AC110s - Brand new but all bio media is from my established FX5
Media includes: biomax, standard sponges, filter floss, 2 packets of purigen
Brand new tank
New gravel - black diamond blasting sand (spent about 4-5hrs cleaning it)
Fish 1 10in rhom

I got the tank up and running last Thursday and the water was clear. On Saturday I brought over my fish and added all of the bio media. The following morning I woke up and the tank was cloudy. It has gotten a little bit clearier but it is still cloudy. The water parameters are great (Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, NItrate = 0). I was thinking it could be bacteria bloom but not that it has gone on for 4 days I am afraid it could be something else.

Any thoughts?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Nitrate = 0 that's meant your tank not cycle (could be a faulty test result), just do 30% ~ 50% daily water change until it's gone.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yeah if the tank was cycled you should have some nitrates. If your cloudiness is a white milky color its most likely a heterotrophic bacteria bloom, which is very common in newly set up tanks. It should get better soon once the tank gets established., ive had them last for a week or two. As long as you keep detecting no ammonia or Nitrite, I wouldn't be too concerned but you really should see some nitrates. make sure your testing correctly. which test kit are you using?

Djzest909

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
San Bernardino
Hi. I set up a new 180g tank over the weekend. The setup is as follows:
2 AC110s - Brand new but all bio media is from my established FX5
Media includes: biomax, standard sponges, filter floss, 2 packets of purigen
Brand new tank
New gravel - black diamond blasting sand (spent about 4-5hrs cleaning it)
Fish 1 10in rhom

I got the tank up and running last Thursday and the water was clear. On Saturday I brought over my fish and added all of the bio media. The following morning I woke up and the tank was cloudy. It has gotten a little bit clearier but it is still cloudy. The water parameters are great (Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, NItrate = 0). I was thinking it could be bacteria bloom but not that it has gone on for 4 days I am afraid it could be something else.

Any thoughts?
Problem solved
You need at least a 13watt uv sterilizer

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
API master test kit. Need to test it again. Considering its all new water but with media from a different tank, I would not expect to see any nitrates at first. Will just keep an eye on it. There will probably be a mini cycle. As long as ammonia doesn't spike too high I am indifferent.

bornaries

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
INDIA
Cloudy water is baterial bloom. Try giving the tank more surface area for bacterial colonisation, use mechanical filtration which was being used in another tank, feed low.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nitrate should never be 0 on a cycled tank, are you sure you are doing the nitrate test right? not looking to call you out or anything, i was guilty of this some years back, test bottle number 2 has to have the pee shook, beaten on a table what ever for 30 seconds, I personally go 2 minutes before adding the 10 drops to the test vile.

That being said tank may be in a mini cycle as you said the cloudiness is clearing up.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I have zero nitrates constantly, my tank been running for 6 months, but I have an Eheim 2262 on a90gal with 11l marine pure spheres and 500ml Purigen...lol

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
more filtration will not remove nitrates, only water change can do this. something is not right with the info given, not saying you are wrong, just saying from what i am reading makes no sense for a cycled tank.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
more filtration will not remove nitrates, only water change can do this. something is not right with the info given, not saying you are wrong, just saying from what i am reading makes no sense for a cycled tank.
no....use more up to date, denitrifying media...marine pure and Purigen... And to be fair there had just been a new filter released by a company that uses electro plates to remove ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.....

The view that "nothing can denitrify other that water changes or plants" is a complete fallacy now....get with the program!

I have a fully closed system, Eheim 2262, 11l marine pure, and 500ml Purigen, and I constantly have zeros on all 3 counts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store