Water Cow Goby Tank Mates

Hom3yboy22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2013
South Florida
As the title states i need to know what a water cow Goby can live with. i saw one at the LFS and really liked the fish. i have done some research on what they eat, proper housing, water... but nothing on tank mates. obviously nothing that he can swallow, but how big of a fish can a 8-10 inch one really swallow? i was thinking about keeping him with a 6-7 inch Oscar, a Nimbochromis Ploystigma(about 6 inches long and a 3-4 inch long one), a 9 inch Florida gar, and a peacock bass about 3-4 inches long(he is the one i am worried about). they would all be in a 110 gallon but if necessary i can move the Pbass to a 55 gallon grow-out. (also the small Polystigma if necessary)

What is everyone's thought and opinions on this idea?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
The bass and smaller African will be lunch.

Burbot - yours seems to be a sleeper goby, which is a different fish.

Water cows are basically half "black" and half tan, lengthwise.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
As the title states i need to know what a water cow Goby can live with. i saw one at the LFS and really liked the fish. i have done some research on what they eat, proper housing, water... but nothing on tank mates. obviously nothing that he can swallow, but how big of a fish can a 8-10 inch one really swallow? i was thinking about keeping him with a 6-7 inch Oscar, a Nimbochromis Ploystigma(about 6 inches long and a 3-4 inch long one), a 9 inch Florida gar, and a peacock bass about 3-4 inches long(he is the one i am worried about). they would all be in a 110 gallon but if necessary i can move the Pbass to a 55 gallon grow-out. (also the small Polystigma if necessary)

What is everyone's thought and opinions on this idea?
[video=youtube;Q-sZXs9KWbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-sZXs9KWbM[/video] They can eat fish almost as large as they are depending on the shape of the fish.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
The bass and smaller African will be lunch.

Burbot - yours seems to be a sleeper goby, which is a different fish.

Water cows are basically half "black" and half tan, lengthwise.
A water cow is a sleeper goby, the name is spotted sleeper goby(watercow is a made up trade name). 1e.png1e1.png also spotted sleepers aka water cows are not just two toned brown and black the change colors for camouflage or mood.

1e.png

1e1.png

Reactions: fishnatics

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Many of the eleotris species of sleeper gobys can change from two toned to another color 1 E.FUSCA 3.png1 E.FUSCA2.png eleotris fusca 1 E.OXYCEPHALA.png1 E.OXYCEPHALA 4.png and eleotris oxycephala are just a couple that also have this camo.

1 E.FUSCA 3.png

1 E.FUSCA2.png

1 E.OXYCEPHALA.png

1 E.OXYCEPHALA 4.png

Reactions: fishnatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store