we have oscars need help

Dosume

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2015
From what I can tell we have the type of oscar called Astronotus Orbicularis. They were given to the spouse by a neighbor because the kids fish died and the spouse is also named Oscar.

We were given 2 that were 2", 2 that were 1/2" and two smaller. The two larger laid eggs and had babies. At that time the othet 4 fish were moved into a different tank.

The spouse went and bought a 55 gallon tank. We had issues with the air thing 2x which resulted in the loss of the bigger fish. Last night I think we also lost the sucker fish, too. So now, as much as I did not want this responsibility, I am taking over.

First, in the year we have had the fist we have only had one aggressor. The fish have gotten along great. They are very maternal/paternal.

After the air situation last night (I am thinking air tube got kinked) wr have about 10 left. The size of 1/2".

Since I am new to this and the search I have done has not given me much more than photos and forms (which is how I figured we have Orbi's...and that they are nicknamed Orbi's) I need help. What should they eat? They are now given flakes and pellets from Petsmart. As I am one who ceels American dog food is not what dogs should be eating, I am thinking the same goes for the Orbi's.

Besides feeding, any advice you can give would be well appreciated.

TIA

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Some picture would be nice. Omega one is a good food that you can get from Petsmart.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Omega and New Life Spectrum are great brands for nutrition. If you suspect that your fish do not have enough oxygen without the air pump (rarely needed in proper setups) then I would look into upgrading your filtration. What filters are you using? If you have orbicularis, that would be cool and unusual. Most of the oscars you see are ocellatus.

How often do you do water changes?

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Has the tank been cycled, and was the water treated before the fish added

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I may have read that wrong but you had 2 inch oscars lay eggs ?

Anyway if you have a breeding pair of orbics that is very cool. I had an orbic in the past. Great looking oscar. Feed the same thing you would any oscar. Omega one , nls, some algae based pellets like algaemax or or oemega one kelp pellets, shelled peas and its gonna sound weird but my orbic loved chick peas as a treat. Also freeze fried krill

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
thinking same thing jaws.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I think un-cycled tank killed the fish not the air though, 2" in 55G shouldn't be a problem at all with or without air. Also, Oscar won't lay eggs at 2" lol it's need a year to become sex mature.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
thinking same thing jaws.
mhhhh

"First, in the year we have had the fist we have only had one aggressor. The fish have gotten along great. They are very maternal/paternal. "

All of these oscars in an uncycled 55 gal for a year ? And spawned at 2" ?

Op we would love to see pics

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Hello Lise and welcome to MFK.

Do you have the ability to test your water? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and hardness? If so what are the readings? If you don't have a test kit you should get one or at least have your water tested at the LFS. Water parameters are the first step in troubleshooting any issue. It doesn't really matter what type or species Oscar you have all are omnivores. Can you tell me what type of filtration you're using and the temperature of the tank? If we start here we will be better able to advise you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store