Weeksi growth rate

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
I am no expert but would imagine it would be the same as most fish... higher Protein diet as well as good quality water/filtration... ill be following this post for more experienced advice than I can give.. ;)

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I can tell u in 2 words about them growing ......... UNGODLY SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arguably the slowest growing bichir ... U can prob get ur girl pregnant and raise ur baby to a teenAger b4 that weeksii goes from 5" to 18" lmfao .... Seriously tho super slow no joke

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I have mixed thoughts on weeksii growth. I have seen the two different sides. I've had 2 that just would not eat until they had to and even then they only ate minuscule amounts. Then I had one that was a pretty good eater. Not surprisingly he grew faster than the other 2. On top of the obvious (good water, adequate feeding, tank size, etc..,) the other things like how good does it eat? play a somewhat large role as well. And the time period for it to go from juvi to adult can vary. Some (this is rare cases, but possible) It's 2-3 years, but from what I have also seen it can be more like 3-5.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I can tell u in 2 words about them growing ......... UNGODLY SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arguably the slowest growing bichir ... U can prob get ur girl pregnant and raise ur baby to a teenAger b4 that weeksii goes from 5" to 18" lmfao .... Seriously tho super slow no joke
I like the analogy. Lol
But surly be less expensive.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Triggered mentioned something that i was curious about... high protein diets. I know they are predatory/carnivorous but i was always under the impression that too high of a protein siet could lead to issues like bloat in allot of cichlids.. is that true for polys too ?

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I have mixed thoughts on weeksii growth. I have seen the two different sides. I've had 2 that just would not eat until they had to and even then they only ate minuscule amounts. Then I had one that was a pretty good eater. Not surprisingly he grew faster than the other 2. On top of the obvious (good water, adequate feeding, tank size, etc..,) the other things like how good does it eat? play a somewhat large role as well. And the time period for it to go from juvi to adult can vary. Some (this is rare cases, but possible) It's 2-3 years, but from what I have also seen it can be more like 3-5.
I am more concerned with the length then juvi to adult. One I have right now is 5-6 " would like it to grow bit longer

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I'd probably say to get to a foot, in all the right conditions, it could take about 1.5-2 years. From there it can be really tricky to gauge growth depending on how well it eats and genetics.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Triggered mentioned something that i was curious about... high protein diets. I know they are predatory/carnivorous but i was always under the impression that too high of a protein siet could lead to issues like bloat in allot of cichlids.. is that true for polys too ?
Genetically speaking I am sure the stomach enzyme they have to digest protein is much more advance then average fish. Anatomically speaking just because they have longer body the stomach is not moving like in open and close to make the food move. Food goes in and it stays there until all the nutrients absorbs through. Slow but very efficient. So I doubt high protein diet a cause of concern in polyoyerus.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Had my weeksii for about a year bought it at 5" an sold it a year later .... Wanna geuess what size it was when I sold it? ..... 5" lol I say te hell with a weeksii lmao

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store